Frequently Asked Questions about the Counseling Center

For what concerns do students seek personal counseling?

Some of the common concerns students address in counseling include adjustment to college or graduate/professional programs, depression, anxiety, grief and loss, trauma (current and past), relationship concerns, academic problems, family of origin issues, identity exploration, body image, substance abuse, eating issues, sexuality, and stress management.

How much do counseling services cost?

All enrolled Pacific University students pay a health fee that is a part of student fees. This fee covers all Student Counseling Center services up to 10 visits, after which there is a charge of $15 per visit when using our services.

How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?

Call or walk in to the Student Counseling Center to make an appointment. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm and can be reached at 503-352-2191. Generally students are seen within a week for an initial appointment.

Where are the Student Counseling Centers located?

Forest Grove Clinic 2142 College Way

Hillsboro Clinic 730 SE Oak St, Ste. D

 How often can I come for counseling?

Counselors generally see clients on a bi-weekly basis at an agreed upon appointment time. All students are eligible for up to 10 individual counseling sessions per academic year. Some students’ concerns will be addressed within 3-5 sessions while others may take longer.

Are counseling services confidential?

All interactions with the Student Counseling Center are held in confidence and remain confidential. This includes content of sessions, records, scheduling of or attendance at appointments, and progress in counseling. There are some exceptions to confidentiality which students should know about before seeing a counselor. In situations in which a client may present a clear and eminent danger to themself and/or others, Student Counseling Center staff members are required to report this information to proper authorities for the protection of the student and the community. All Student Counseling Center records are kept separate from other University records. Written permission by clients is required to release counseling information. All counselors will discuss confidentiality when students are seen for the first appointment.

What if I don’t feel comfortable with the counselor who is assigned to work with me?

There are times that for various reasons clients don’t feel comfortable with their counselors. The Student Counseling Center works to provide the best possible counseling services and recognizes that at times clients may want to request a different counselor. Clients may contact Dr. Robin Keillor, Director, at 503-352-2191 when such situations arise.

Is counseling only for people who have serious emotional problems?

University and graduate/professional school work can be stressful at times. Many students encounter problems that are not easily resolved, or their usual ways of handling problems aren’t working well for some reason. Counseling can be a helpful means of support to address concerns that may be interfering with a student’s ability to function academically and/or socially.

What if I don’t want to see a counselor and just want some information about mental health issues or concerns students face?

All students are welcome to visit the Student Health and Counseling Centers during business hours to pick up information focused on a variety of health and mental health topics. Also, the Student Counseling Center website provides links to online resources including self-help sites.