Student Injury/Illness Protocol

If a student is injured or falls ill:

  1. In a medical emergency, call 911. Do not move the injured or ill student unless more harm will be incurred by keeping them stationary (e.g. risk of fire/burns/falling debris/etc.).  Stay with the injured or ill person(s) and provide basic first aid within your scope of training as indicated by the situation. Read more in the health emergency response guide (pdf).
  2. If uncertain as to whether injury is an emergency (for example, in case of a person who has fainted, fallen, head trauma, burns or who has been severly cut), you may call 911 for assessment and possible transport.  Emergency personnel will asses the student and give recommendations. There is no charge to patient unless they are transported by ambulance.
  3. Notify Campus Public Safety 503-352-2230 at Forest Grove Campus and 503-352-7207 at Hillsboro Campus.
  4. If the injury is not severe but medical attention is needed, proceed to an urgent care or emergency room. You may also contact the Student Health Center by calling 503-352-2269 for assistance with triage questions and availability of services.

Locations of local facilities include:

Tuality Forest Grove Hospital
1809 Maple St, Forest Grove
phone: 503-359-6180

Tuality Hillsboro Hospital
335 SE 8th Ave, Hillsboro
phone: 503-681-1111

Tanasbourne Medical Plaza Urgent Care
1885 NW 185th Ave., Aloha
phone: 503-216-9360

Tuality Aloha Urgent Care
17175 SW TV Hwy, Aloha
phone: 503-681-4223

After the Injury

  • Once the situation has fully stabilized, the student must complete a Student Accident/Incident Analysis form (pdf).
  • The completed form should be returned to the Campus Public Safety office, UC A-100.
  • Student Accident/Incident Analysis forms are reported (with the student name omitted for confidentiality) to the Health and Safety Advisory Committee for review and discussion of prevention and corrective action planning with regards to campus safety issues.
  • Any medical expenses incurred as a result of the injury should be billed to the student’s personal insurance carrier.
  • If a student is injured while working for the University, they should follow the protocol for injured employees. All job related injuries or illnesses must be reported immediately to your supervisor and Campus Public Safety. The Human Resource office (x2860) will explain your responsibilities and assist you in completing the necessary paperwork.