School of Professional Psychology Faculty
Laura Edwards-Leeper, Ph.D.
Psy.D. Clinical Program
School of Professional Psychology
Ph.D., Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, 2004
Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies, Bowling Green State University, OH 2003
B.A., Lewis & Clark College, Portland, OR, 1997
Pre-doctoral Internship, Montana State University, Bozeman & Crow/Northern Cheyenne Hospital, Crow Agency, MT, 2003-2004
Postdoctoral Internship, Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2004-2005
Previous Relevant Work Experience
Staff Psychologist – Seattle Children’s Hospital, 2011-2012
Staff Psychologist - Children’s Hospital Primary Care Center – Boston Children’s Hospital, 2005-2011
Staff Psychologist and founding member of the Gender Management Service (GeMS) – Boston Children’s Hospital, 2007-2011
Instructor in Psychology – Harvard Medical School, 2005-2011
Roles and Interests
Core Faculty, Child Psychology Track
Clinical Supervisor for practicum students at the Pacific Psychology Clinic – Child Team
Supervise thesis and dissertation research
Clinical and research interests: Gender identity issues, including issues related to gender non-conformity and transgenderism; Disorders of Sexual Development; Eating disorders and obesity with an emphasis on children and adolescents; prevention/early intervention of eating disorders and obesity, including focus on body image.
Professional Memberships & Involvement
Member of American Psychological Association Task Force developing treatment guidelines for working with transgender individuals
World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH) – co-chair of Child/Adolescent Committee
APA, Division 44 (LGBT) and 54 (Pediatric Psychology)
Society for Pediatric Psychology
- Edwards-Leeper, L. & Spack, N.P. (2012). Psychological Evaluation and Medical Treatment of Transgender Youth in an Interdisciplinary “Gender Management Service” (GeMS) in a Major Pediatric Center. Journal of Homosexuality, 59 (3), 321-336.
- Spack, N. P., Edwards-Leeper, L., Feldman, H.A., Leibowitz, S., Mandel, F., Diamond, D.A., Vance, S.R. (2012). Children and Adolescents with Gender Identity Disorder Referred to a Pediatric Medical Center. Pediatrics, 129 (3), 418-425.
- Spack, N. P. & Edwards-Leeper, L. Medical Treatment of the Transgender Adolescent. (2011). Textbook of Adolescent Health Care. Fisher, M., Alderman, E., Kreipe, R., & Rosenfeld W. (Eds). American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. & Spack, N.P. (2011). Gender Identity Disorder. In Augustyn M., Zuckerman B., & Caronna E.B. (Eds.), The Zuckerman Parker Handbook of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics for Primary Care (3rd edition, pp. 229-233). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health / Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Holub, S. C., Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Persson, A. V., Edwards-Leeper, L. A., Goldstein, S. E., Miller, A. B. (2005). Do preschool children understand what it means to “diet,” and do they do it?” International Journal of Eating Disorders, 38, 91-93.
- Mahoney, A., Carels, R., Pargament, K., Wachholtz, A., Edwards-Leeper, L., Kaplar, M., & Frutchey, R. (2005). The sanctification of the body and behavioral health patterns of college students. International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 15 (3), 221-238.
- Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Holub, S. C., Miller, A. B., Goldstein, S. E., & Edwards-Leeper, L. (2004). Body size stigmatization in preschool children: The role of control attributions. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 29 (8), 613-620.
- Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Holub, S. C., Edwards-Leeper, L. A., Persson, A. V., & Goldstein, S. E. (2003). The narrow range of acceptable body types of preschoolers and their mothers. Applied Developmental Psychology, 24, 259-272.
- Boxer, P., Edwards-Leeper, L., Goldstein, S. E., Musher-Eizenman, D. R., & Dubow, E. F. (2003). Exposure to “low level” aggression in school: Associations with aggressive behavior, future expectations, and perceived safety. Violence and Victims, 18 (6), 691-705.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2012, August). Assessing Gender Identity in Adolescents for Possible Medical Intervention. Gender Odyssey Professional Seminar, Seattle, WA
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2012, March). Interdisciplinary Collaboration with Psychologists in Providing Recommended Treatment for Transgender Adolescents Seeking Medical Intervention. Pediatric Endocrinology Association for Research and Learning (PEARL), Tacoma, WA.
- Leibowitz, S., Spack, N., Edwards-Leeper, L., & Mandel, F. (2011, September). Gender-variant and transgender youth: A model for an interdisciplinary, collaborative treatment program in an academic children’s hospital. Panel presentation at the World Professional Association of Transgender Health Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., Coletti, K., Cella-Mowatt, A., Huntington, N., Cox, J. E. (2011, May). Parent-Child Discordance Surrounding Psychosocial Characteristics Associated with Childhood Obesity. Poster presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Conference, Denver, CO.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. & Spack, N. P. (2010, August). Psychology's Role in the New Recommended Treatment for Transgender Youth. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association (APA) Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., Cella-Mowatt, A., & Cox, J, (2010, May). Parents of Overweight Children: Common Concerns other than Weight. Poster presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Spack, N.P. & Edwards-Leeper, L. (2010, April). Creating a Safe and Supportive School Environment for the Gender Dysphoric Student: Counseling, Testing, and Medical Interventions. Lesley University, Division of Counseling & Psychology Graduate School of Arts & Social Sciences, Cambridge, MA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2010, February). Feminism Meets Medicine: Implementing an Empowerment Model for Treating Underserved Overweight Children in Primary Care. Paper presented at the Association for Women in Psychology (AWP) Conference, Portland, OR.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., Cheng, J., Cella-Mowatt, A., & Cox, J.E. (2009, May). Preliminary Evaluation of Targeting Lifestyle Change (TLC), a Family-Based Empowerment Group for Overweight Children. Poster presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2008, October).Gender Identity Issues in Children and Youth. New England Child Life Professionals Conference. Boston, MA
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2008, May). Helping Children & Families make Behavior Change as it Relates to Weight. Obesity Grand Rounds - Children’s Hospital Boston.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. & Ludlow, V. (2008, February). Childhood obesity: A weighty matter for families. Full day workshop (6 CEU credits offered). Rhode Island Psychological Association Continuing Professional Education Committee, Warwick, RI.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. & Knickmeyer, N. (2007, January). The Beat of a Different Drum: Lessons Lived and Learned While Working on the Crow Reservation. Paper presented at the APA National Multicultural Conference and Summit, Seattle, WA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. A. (2006, March). A longitudinal investigation of the psychological benefits of a wilderness program for adolescent girls. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence (SRA), San Francisco, CA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. A., Boxer, P., Phillips, K., & Dubow, E. (2003, April). Brief cognitive intervention for body image and interpersonal conflict concerns for young girls. Poster presented at the Society for Research in Child Development Conference (SRCD), Tampa, FL.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. & Allgeier, E. R. (2002, April). The relationship between disordered eating and gender role identity/egalitarianism in adolescent females and their parents. Poster presented at the Society for Research on Adolescence (SRA), New Orleans, LA.
Laura A. Edwards-Leeper, Ph.D.
School of Professional Psychology
Pacific University HPC2
190 SE 8th Avenue, Suite 260
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Toll Free: 1-877-PAC-UNIV ext. 7326