School of Professional Psychology Faculty
Laura Edwards-Leeper, PhD
PsyD Clinical Program
School of Professional Psychology
PhD, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, 2004
Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies, Bowling Green State University, OH 2003
BA, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, OR, 1997
Pre-doctoral Internship, Montana State University, Bozeman & Crow/Northern Cheyenne Hospital, Crow Agency, MT, 2003-2004
Postdoctoral Internship, Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2004-2005
Previous Relevant Work Experience
Staff Psychologist – Seattle Children’s Hospital, 2011-2012
Staff Psychologist - Children’s Hospital Primary Care Center – Boston Children’s Hospital, 2005-2011
Staff Psychologist and founding member of the Gender Management Service (GeMS) – Boston Children’s Hospital, 2007-2011
Instructor in Psychology – Harvard Medical School, 2005-2011
Roles and Interests
Core Faculty, Child Psychology Track
Clinical Supervisor for practicum students at the Pacific Psychology Clinic – Child Team
Supervise thesis and dissertation research
Clinical and research interests: Gender identity issues, including issues related to gender non-conformity and transgenderism; Disorders of Sexual Development; Eating disorders and obesity with an emphasis on children and adolescents; prevention/early intervention of eating disorders and obesity, including focus on body image.
Professional Memberships & Involvement
Member of American Psychological Association Task Force developing treatment guidelines for working with transgender individuals
World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH) – co-chair of Child/Adolescent Committee
APA, Division 44 (LGBT) and 54 (Pediatric Psychology)
Society for Pediatric Psychology
- Edwards-Leeper, L., & Spack, N. P. (2012). Psychological evaluation and medical treatment of transgender youth in an interdisciplinary “Gender Management Service” (GeMS) in a major pediatric center. Journal of Homosexuality, 59 (3), 321-336.
- Spack, N. P., Edwards-Leeper, L., Feldman, H.A., Leibowitz, S., Mandel, F., Diamond, D.A., & Vance, S. R. (2012). Children and adolescents with gender identity disorder referred to a pediatric medical center. Pediatrics, 129 (3), 418-425.
- Spack, N. P., & Edwards-Leeper, L. (2011). Medical treatment of the transgender adolescent. In M. Fisher, E. Alderman, R. Kreipe, & W. Rosenfeld (Eds). American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., & Spack, N. P. (2011). Gender identity disorder. In M. Augustyn,
B. Zuckerman, & E. B. Caronna (Eds.), The zuckerman parker handbook of developmental and behavioral pediatrics for primary care (3rd ed., pp. 229-233). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Holub, S. C., Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Persson, A. V., Edwards-Leeper, L. A., Goldstein, S. E., & Miller, A. B. (2005). Do preschool children understand what it means to “diet,” and do they do it?” International Journal of Eating Disorders, 38, 91-93.
- Mahoney, A., Carels, R., Pargament, K., Wachholtz, A., Edwards-Leeper, L., Kaplar, M., & Frutchey, R. (2005). The sanctification of the body and behavioral health patterns of college students. International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 15 (3), 221-238.
- Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Holub, S. C., Miller, A. B., Goldstein, S. E., & Edwards-Leeper, L. (2004). Body size stigmatization in preschool children: The role of control attributions. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 29 (8), 613-620.
- Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Holub, S. C., Edwards-Leeper, L. A., Persson, A. V., & Goldstein, S. E. (2003). The narrow range of acceptable body types of preschoolers and their mothers. Applied Developmental Psychology, 24, 259-272.
- Boxer, P., Edwards-Leeper, L., Goldstein, S. E., Musher-Eizenman, D. R., & Dubow, E. F. (2003). Exposure to “low level” aggression in school: Associations with aggressive behavior, future expectations, and perceived safety. Violence and Victims, 18 (6), 691-705.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2012, August). Assessing gender identity in adolescents for possible medical intervention. Gender Odyssey Professional Seminar, Seattle, WA
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2012, March). Interdisciplinary collaboration with psychologists in providing recommended treatment for transgender adolescents seeking medical intervention. Pediatric Endocrinology Association for Research and Learning (PEARL), Tacoma, WA.
- Leibowitz, S., Spack, N., Edwards-Leeper, L., & Mandel, F. (2011, September). Gender-variant and transgender youth: A model for an interdisciplinary, collaborative treatment program in an academic children’s hospital. Panel presentation at the World Professional Association of Transgender Health Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., Coletti, K., Cella-Mowatt, A., Huntington, N., & Cox, J. E. (2011, May). Parent-child discordance surrounding psychosocial characteristics associated with childhood obesity. Poster presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Conference, Denver, CO.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., & Spack, N. P. (2010, August). Psychology's role in the new recommended treatment for transgender youth. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association (APA) Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., Cella-Mowatt, A., & Cox, J. (2010, May). Parents of overweight children: Common concerns other than weight. Poster presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Spack, N. P., & Edwards-Leeper, L. (2010, April). Creating a safe and supportive school environment for the gender dysphoric student: Counseling, testing, and medical interventions. Lesley University, Division of Counseling & Psychology Graduate School of Arts & Social Sciences, Cambridge, MA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2010, February). Feminism meets medicine: Implementing an empowerment model for treating underserved overweight children in primary care. Paper presented at the Association for Women in Psychology (AWP) Conference, Portland, OR.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., Cheng, J., Cella-Mowatt, A., & Cox, J. E. (2009, May). Preliminary evaluation of targeting lifestyle change (TLC), a family-based empowerment group for overweight children. Poster presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2008, October). Gender identity issues in children and youth. New England Child Life Professionals Conference. Boston, MA
- Edwards-Leeper, L. (2008, May). Helping children & families make behavior change as it relates to weight. Obesity Grand Rounds - Children’s Hospital Boston.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., & Ludlow, V. (2008, February). Childhood obesity: A weighty matter for families. Full day workshop (6 CEU credits offered). Rhode Island Psychological Association Continuing Professional Education Committee, Warwick, RI.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., & Knickmeyer, N. (2007, January). The beat of a different drum: Lessons lived and learned while working on the Crow reservation. Paper presented at the APA National Multicultural Conference and Summit, Seattle, WA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. A. (2006, March). A longitudinal investigation of the psychological benefits of a wilderness program for adolescent girls. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence (SRA), San Francisco, CA.
- Edwards-Leeper, L. A., Boxer, P., Phillips, K., & Dubow, E. (2003, April). Brief cognitive intervention for body image and interpersonal conflict concerns for young girls. Poster presented at the Society for Research in Child Development Conference (SRCD), Tampa, FL.
- Edwards-Leeper, L., & Allgeier, E. R. (2002, April). The relationship between disordered eating and gender role identity/egalitarianism in adolescent females and their parents. Poster presented at the Society for Research on Adolescence (SRA), New Orleans, LA.
Laura A. Edwards-Leeper, PhD
School of Professional Psychology
Pacific University HPC2
190 SE 8th Avenue, Suite 260
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Toll Free: 1-877-PAC-UNIV ext. 7326