- Develop a high level of proficiency in listening to, speaking, reading and writing Japanese
- Spend at least one semester studying abroad at one of four universities in Japan
- Take courses ranging from basic Japanese language to advanced contemporary literature
- Practice language skills with a Japanese-speaking language assistant who lives on campus and hosts activities such as a weekly conversation table
- Connect with Pacific’s several Japanese exchange students
The Japanese program covers a wide range of language development. From basic introduction to advanced contemporary literature, there is something for every level of Japanese language learning. This allows students to become fluent in the language without any previous knowledge.
- Majors are required to spend at least one semester studying abroad in Japan at one of the four universities offered
- All courses in the department are open to non-majors
- The department aims for students to have a high level of proficiency in listening to, speaking, reading and writing Japanese
- The curriculum is designed to ensure mastery of Japanese through intensive conversational training
Students who complete a Japanese major or minor at Pacific University have an enhanced global awareness and people skills that allow them to interact and thrive in a global community. Pacific University students have participated in Fulbright Scholarships for international study, as well as the Japan Exchange Teaching (J.E.T.) program, serving as assistants to English teachers or coordinators for international relations. Many graduates find jobs in international business.