Short Term Disability

Staff

Short term disability is provided to benefit eligible staff to protect them from income loss due to extended illness or accidental injury which requires ongoing physician’s care. Short term disability payments are made on a weekly basis once approved. The waiting period is 14 calendar days. On the 15th day, short term disability for staff pays 60% of their income with a maximum benefit of $1,500 per week. The benefits are payable for a maximum of 22 weeks after the waiting period is complete. Staff may use accrued sick and vacation time to keep their pay whole during the 14 day waiting period and to cover the difference in pay once the benefits starts. Please keep in mind, any amount that causes your earnings to exceed 100% of pre-disability earnings will cause the benefit amount to offset.

Faculty

Short term disability for benefit-eligible faculty pays 100% during the 14 day waiting period using a combination of accrued available Oregon sick leave hours and Pacific University’s Short term Disability Central Account. On the 15th day, short term disability for benefit-eligible faculty is paid at 60% of their income with a maximum benefit of $1,500 weekly for 22 weeks from Standard. The remaining 40%, depending on an employee's pre-disability earnings, will be paid by the University. Please keep in mind that the percentage from the University may vary depending on your pre-disability earnings.

Application Procedure

When you need to report a Short-Term Disability leave of absence, Pacific University has partnered with The Standard to guide you through the steps needed to ensure a smooth absence. A step-by-step Frequently Asked Questions guide was developed to help you report an absence with Standard Insurance Company. Please be aware that the leave process through Standard MUST be initiated in a specific way. You must call the Absence Management Service Center at 866.756.8116 or login at www.standard.com/absence. Review the FAQ guide before contacting Standard Insurance Company.

Follow the steps outlined in the guide if you become disabled or need to file for a leave of absence from work. Once you initiate a leave of absence case with The Standard, you’ll be able to access the Absence Management Service Center online or via telephone.