Program Admissions | Occupational Therapy
Program Size & Selectivity | Enrollment is limited to 40 students. Admission is highly selective.
Application Deadline | Preferred deadline is November 1st, Final deadline is December 4th
Program Length | 36 months (starts in August)
Admissions Decisions | March
Apply to the OTD program or inquire for more information.
In making admission decisions, the School of Occupational Therapy Admission Committee reviews the application and considers many factors including:
- Interpersonal and self-management skills, which include the ability to assume responsibility for one's own personal and professional development
- Academic performance prerequisite courses are considered most critically
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Letters of reference
- Evidence of observation and understanding of the role of occupational therapy services for clients across the age span and in multiple arenas of practice, including:
- Mental Health
- Public Schools
- Completeness of application forms and the care expended in preparing their content
- General knowledge and self-generated interest in the study of human occupation (the way people use their time in self care, work and leisure activities)
Based on the criteria listed above, selected applicants are invited for on-campus interviews. The on-campus interview process is required and is a major factor in the admission decision. It allows the applicant the opportunity to assess her/his "fit" with the program and also allows the admission committee to assess essential skills and traits that may not be reflected in the application. In the interview, the committee considers:
- Knowledge of the breadth and scope of the profession
- Motivation for pursuing a career in occupational therapy
- Interpersonal and interactive skills
- Verbal expression of ideas
- Ability to articulate personal values and beliefs regarding issues of "health"