How to Apply for the Clinical Psychology PsyD
The 2017-2018 Pacific University School of Graduate Psychology Online Application is open!
- Recommended essay length: No more than one page typed and double spaced
- The GPA calculation form is a required part of your application and needs to be fully completed.
PsyD Program: Requirements for Admission with a Bachelor's Degree
Satisfactory Completion of a Bachelor's Degree
A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.4 during the last two years of study is desirable.
General Graduate Record Examination
The General Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required to be taken within five years of application. A waiver will be available to those applicants with qualifying Master's degrees in place of the GRE. If you would like to apply for the GRE waiver, please follow the instructions to do so within the online application.
*Please note that GRE Waiver will be assessed on a case by case basis. If the Admissions Committee finds a Master's degree insufficient of fulfilling the GRE requirement, invitation to interview and/or Admission may be contingent on completion of the GRE.
The school code for Pacific University is R4601. There is no department code.
The Psychology Subject Test is optional. Applicants may demonstrate their knowledge by submitting scores for the optional Psychology Subject test of the GRE. Note that this portion of the GRE is only administered by paper exam. It should be taken no later than November in order for results to be available by the application deadline.
Strong Undergraduate Background in Psychology
A psychology major is not required; however, math-based Statistics and Abnormal Psychology courses are required prerequisites. In addition, two of the six following courses are required as preparation for work at the graduate level.
- Introduction to Psychology
- Personality Theory
- Developmental Psychology
- Research Methods
- Physiological Psychology
- Social Psychology
Prerequisite courses must be completed with an average of "B" or above before a student can matriculate into the program.
Professional Mental Health Experience
Applicants are encouraged to have experience in the mental health field.
Other Items to Submit
- Official transcripts from all previous institutions attended
- GRE scores
- CV or Resume (upload within online application)
- Two letters of recommendation and Pacific's Letters of Evaluation -This is done electronically through the online application. An applicant will simply need to provide their recommenders' information when prompted to do so and an email will be sent to the recommender requesting the necessary documentation.
- Completed essay questions (included in online application)
- Completed GPA calculations (table included in online application)
Clinical Psychology: Additional Admissions Information
The School of Graduate Psychology seeks students with both academic aptitude and personal qualities that will enable them to develop personally and professionally into effective psychologists. The final application deadline is Jan. 3, 2018. A personal interview is required for all finalists who apply to the program.
Applicants are advised that Pacific University requires criminal background checks. This background check is required to determine students' qualification to provide services; it takes place after admission and deposit. A criminal record may disqualify a previously admitted student. In addition, drug screenings and additional trainings are required prior to the start of clinical practicum placements.
If you are interested in either the PsyD or PhD in Clinical Psychology programs please contact Piper Menke at email@example.com or 503-352-7226.