Fan Chen, PhD
Dr. Chen has been teaching undergraduate and graduate finance courses at three different schools and received the Price Finance Teaching Excellence Award at the University of Oklahoma. His primary fields of specialization are Corporate Finance, Market Microstructure, and Energy Economics. Dr. Chen’s research has been published in the Journal of Financial Research, Energy Economics, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, and Journal of Economics and Business. He also has one best paper award and two semifinalist best paper awards along with an impressive list of international presentations, including the European Finance Association and Financial Management Association annual conferences. Dr. Chen has been heavily involved with advising students at previous institutions as well as a member of numerous academic and finance associations. Some of his advisees’ achievements include Robert Barry Carson Best Paper Award and SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence.
Fan was the 2019 Faculty Development Awards and 2020 Story-Dondero award recipients which honor Pacific University faculty proposals for research and scholarship.
PhD in Finance, University of Oklahoma (Price College of Business), August 2014
M.S. in Finance, Singapore Management University, Singapore, 2009
M.A. in Economics, Xiamen University (Wang Ya’nan Institute for Studies in Economics), China, 2009
B.A. in Financial Engineering, Xiamen University, China, 2006
1. The Wealth Effects of Dividend Announcements on Bondholders: New Evidence from the Over-the-counter Market, Journal of Economics and Business 86, July-August, (2016): 52-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconbus.2016.04.003
2. Investment and Operating Choice: Oil and Natural Gas Futures Prices and Drilling Activity, with Scott Linn, Energy Economics 66, August, (2017): 54-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2017.05.012
3. Pre-trade Transparency in Over-the-Counter Bond Markets, with Zhuo Zhong, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal 45, October, (2017): 14-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pacfin.2016.08.001
4. The Impact of New Debt Offerings on Existing Corporate Bondholders, (with Duane Stock). Journal of Financial Research. (2018) Vol.41 (3), p.383-410. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfir.12157
5. The Wealth Effects of Mergers and Acquisitions on Bondholders: New Evidence from the Over-the-Counter Market, (with Krishnan Ramaya and Wei Wu). Journal of Economics and Business 107, January-February, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconbus.2019.105862