Complaints and Grievances

It is hoped that minor differences can be resolved without recourse to the process provided here. However, there may be situations where a more formal process may be necessary. This process is intended to settle disputes through mediation and reasoned discussion. Students who intend to file a formal complaint or an academic or nonacademic grievance may do so with the Dean of Students.

Please contact the Dean of Students Office at 503-352-2254 or email

Students may also file a complaint with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. If a complaint cannot be resolved internally, the State of Oregon has established a complaint process through the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC). If the student has exhausted all institutional resources available through their complaint process, then the student may contact the HECC at 503-378-5690 to file a complaint.

NWCCU Commission Office
425-558-4224 | Fax: 205-525-9848

8060 165th Avenue NE
Redmond, WA 98052