Pacific University's College of Optometry presents the 2023 Island Eyes Conference.
We invite speakers who are the foremost authorities in their fields and bring them together for a week-long educational program. Topics will include dry eye/ocular surface disease, oral pharmaceuticals, glaucoma, neuro-optometry, contact lenses, myopia control, and co-management. Earn up to 30 hours of COPE-Accredited Continuing Education and come experience all that the Big Island has to offer.
The College of Optometry is thrilled to have Dr. Stephanie Woo, Dr. Walt Whitely OD' 02, and Pacific faculty members; Dr. Blair Lonsberry, Dr. Breanne McGhee MED '16, OD '16, PhDEL '21, Dr. John P. Lowery OD '93, MED '96, and Dr. William Hefner OD '96, MED '97 as our 2023 speakers.
*Registration is below the sponsors page
The conference will take place at The Fairmont Orchid Marriott on the Big Island.
Book your hotel room for the event at special rates, at the below link
*If you wish to contact the hotel directly, please email ORC.GroupServices@Fairmont.com
Alaska Airlines | Discount code: ECME115
Participants will receive a 5% discount off Alaska Airlines published fares (except companion and other promotional fares) for travel from Jan. 15 through Jan. 29, 2023.
Airport Ground Transportation
The Fairmont Orchid does not have an airport shuttle. The Fairmont Orchid’s exclusive taxi service is AM/PM Taxi. The cost for a one-way transfer is $89.00 each way for a regular taxi van. Five people are the maximum amount allowed in an airport transfer.
Daily office hours: 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. HI time | P: 808-327-9742
SpeediShuttle provides shared-ride airport transportation in Mercedes shuttles. Receive a 10% discount on return when booked together. Guests with prearranged arrival reservations should collect their luggage and check into Speedishuttle’s service desk located across from carousel three and four in the baggage claim area. Vehicle amenities are spacious with 6’1” headroom, roomy comfortable seats with three-point seat restraints, adjustable headrests, and cold air conditioning. Reserve today.
Rates: Kona Airport to Orchid $68.86 per person | Orchid to Kona Airport $68.86 per person
Join us for our annual Island Eyes Gold outing on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023.
Mauna Lani's south course snakes through the stark, rugged a'a lava of prehistoric Kaniku lava flows. This challenging 18-hold course, offers the golfer a panorama of mountain and ocean views. It is also home to #15, one of the world's most photographed over-the-ocean golf course holes in the world.
The outing will begin at 1 p.m. with a reverse shotgun start.
Tours on the Big Island
A full refund will be granted minus a $35 processing fee for cancelations before Jan. 15, 2023.
Maunaloa Eruption Notice from the Fairmont Orchid
As the Maunaloa eruption is located at a distance from Fairmont Orchid (approximately 60 miles away), it does not pose a threat to the resort. Additionally, at this time, lava is not flowing toward populated areas and does not pose a threat to communities. There is no reason at this time for travelers to change or alter their leisure or business plans. It’s business as usual at the Fairmont Orchid and all amenities and services are available. As such, the hotel's cancelation policy will remain in place.
For real-time updates, please visit www.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo.
- The safety and security of our guests and colleagues are top priorities at Fairmont Orchid.
- Hawai'i Volcano Observatory confirms the eruption began at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 27. Officials say that as of the morning of Nov. 28, the lava flow has now migrated to a rift zone on the northeast flank.
- Air Access: All flights into Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole (KOA) are operating normally.
- Accommodations and Activities: All accommodations, activities, and attractions on the island are also operating normally. Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park has closed the Maunaloa summit until further notice.
- Air Quality: There is currently no ashfall. For the latest air quality updates, please visit www.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo.
- Viewing: There is currently no sanctioned area to view the Maunaloa eruption. For the best viewing experience, we advise that guests contact our partners (Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, Paradise Helicopters, etc.) to see an aerial view.
- Please rest assured that we are monitoring the situation closely and continue to follow the protocols of the Hawai’i County Civil Defense Agency and our own safety officials to ensure that guest and colleague safety remains a top priority.
FUTURE ISLAND EYES CONFERENCE DATES:
- Royal Sonesta Kaua'i Resort in Lihue | Jan. 14-20, 2024
- Wailea Beach Resort Marriott, Maui | Jan. 12-18, 2025
- Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, Kohala Coast, HI | Jan. 18-24, 2026