The Virus & Transmission
Dr. Patrick Boyle, a faculty member in Pacific's School of Physician Assistant Studies, explains the virus above. Watch in Spanish.
What is COVID-19?
- SARS-CoV-2 is a type of coronavirus that causes a Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), among other symptoms.
- COVID-19 is the specific disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
How is it transmitted?
- Through air by droplets emitted when you are close to an infected person who coughs and/or sneezes
- By touching hard, smooth surfaces that have been contaminated by the virus, followed by touching your face, especially your mouth, nose and eyes
- Transmission can occur a few days before symptoms appear or when carriers are asymptomatic
How serious is it?
- It appears that 80% of infected people will have a mild case.
- However, 1 in 5 will require hospitalization
- People with underlying health conditions are at higher risk for a severe case