Residency Requirements and Waiver Information - Due to COVID there will not be a residency requirement for the 2020-2021 academic year

Pacific University considers residence hall community living as one of the most valuable learning experiences of a student’s educational career.

Living in a residence hall is an important factor in the process of both social and academic growth. Residence halls foster a living-learning environment where students can develop interpersonal skills and intercultural understanding among students with diverse backgrounds.

Residency Requirements

  • Pacific University requires all students under 20 years of age by the first day of fall term to live and board on-campus unless the student has fulfilled the university's two-year residency requirement.
  • All students who sign a Housing Contract and move into housing are required to live and board on campus for the duration of the contract terms (Fall, Winter and Spring Terms).
  • The Housing Contract will cover fewer terms if the student cancels their housing based on approved criteria as mentioned in the Residence Hall Handbook or the student begins their Housing Contract after one or more terms have ended.

Residency Waiver Information

The Residency Options Committee reviews submitted residency waiver requests six times a year and grants exceptions only when extenuating circumstances are deemed unusual for a college student or the automatic waiver criteria is meet (see criteria below).

The student is notified of the committee's decision via their Pacific email account within five business days of their meeting (see schedule below).

If a waiver is granted, a new Residency Waiver Request form must be submitted each academic year until the University’s eligibility requirements to live off campus are met.

The Residency Options Committee generally meets per the schedule below but it is subject to change:

  • second Tuesday of January
  • first Tuesday of March
  • first Tuesday of April
  • first Tuesday of June
  • first week of July
  • first Tuesday of August
  • first Tuesday of December

Possible automatic residency waivers include:

  • Living with an immediate family member (must be a parent, sibling, or legal guardian with an address within 20 miles of Pacific University, Forest Grove campus). Living with an immediate family member requires legal proof of residence, (e.g. a copy of the immediate family member’s Oregon driver’s license). The Residence Options Committee uses Google Maps to calculate the mileage between the immediate family member's address and Pacific University, 2043 College Way, Forest Grove, Oregon. The shortest distance displayed is used. Please Note the mileage exemption to live at home with an immediate family member is not an option once the Housing Contract period begins.
  • Being married. (Requires a copy of the marriage or domestic partnership license.)
  • Having a dependent child. (Requires a copy of the child’s birth certificate and any supporting documentation.)

Waiver requests during the housing contract period:

Students that have signed a housing contract and checked-in to housing and then want to be released from their housing contract, must complete the extenuating circumstances portion of the request form and must demonstrate an extreme circumstance which has occurred during their housing contract period as part of their request for a waiver.

Contact the Housing Office for the request form.

Waiver requests for new students:

New deposited students seeking an exemption for the upcoming academic year can request a Residency Waiver Request form through the new student Housing Application (the committee only reviews requests from students that have submitted their enrollment deposit to the Pacific University Admission’s Office).

Financial Aid Impact:

Be sure to connect with the Financial Aid Office in advance of submitting a Residency Waiver Request form to see if there will be any implications to your financial aid package if you are approved to live off campus.

Housing Contract Buyout

Applies to students who are at least 20 years of age as of the official Fall move-in date and are currently under housing contract.

  • Students may elect to go through the residency waiver process to see if their request will be approved and contractual obligation waived. If the waiver request is denied, eligible students have the option to either appeal the decision or choose to buyout their housing contract.
  • Eligible students may elect to bypass the residency waiver process and choose to buyout out their housing contract. Contact the Department of Housing at for more information.

Maintaining Housing Eligibility

Residents of campus housing must maintain the following eligibility requirements:

  • They are enrolled as a Pacific University undergraduate or graduate student (full-time or part-time) or enrolled in the English Language Institute and actively taking classes.
  • They are in good standing with the Business Office on the day of registration for each term or prior to the assignment of a space

Residence Hall Age Requirements

Cascade Hall, McCormick Hall or Walter Hall

These residence halls are generally for students 18 years old and older prior to the start of the Fall term.

Burlingham Hall or Gilbert Hall

These residence halls are for students that are 19 years old and older prior to the start of the Fall term or have fulfilled one year of the University's two-year residency requirement.

Vandervelden Court

This residence hall is for students that are 20 years old and older prior to the start of the Fall term or have fulfilled the University's two-year residency requirement.