It took Pacific University more than half a century from its inception to build its first library. But that building has stood twice that long.
This year, the University celebrates the centennial of Carnegie Hall, the first library on the Forest Grove campus. The building was funded, in part, by the generosity of Andrew Carnegie, the turn-of-the-last-century industrialist who became known as one of the most important philanthropists in the United States.
In 1905, Carnegie provided $20,000 for construction of the first library building. He challenged Pacific to raise a matching amount for continued maintenance, according to Splendid Audacity, the history of the University. It took another seven years for Pacific to meet the condition, and the library opened its doors in 1912.
The original Pacific University library was one of only three academic libraries funded by Carnegie in the West. Today, the building houses the Center for Gender Equity, as well as faculty offices for the sociology and undergraduate psychology departments.
Pacific will celebrate the Carnegie Hall centennial with a ceremony featuring speakers and refreshments at 3 p.m. Sept. 28, during Homecoming Weekend. ■
This story first appeared in the Fall 2012 issue of Pacific magazine. For more stories, visit pacificu.edu/magazine.