Department of English Announces Winners of 2018 Writing Contests
"But a Book is only the Heart’s Portrait—every Page a Pulse."
— Emily Dickinson
The Department of English is pleased to announce the winners of the Pacific University 2018 Writing Contests. First place pieces will be published in the next issue of PLUM: Pacific’s Literature by Undergraduates Magazine in addition to a cash award. Each category was read by an accomplished judge in the particular genre from outside the university community. All submitted work was produced in either an English Literature, Creative Writing, or Expository Writing course.
- 1st Place: Harley Taff, “Cigarette Girl"
- 2nd Place: Morgan Smith, “821 Quinette Lane, 75126"
- Honorable Mention: Ash Adams, “Nova Gets His Own Cheesy Rom-Com"
- 1st Place: Charli Elliott, “A Body of Work"
- 2nd Place: Jacqueline Tufts, “Alone in My Head”
- Honorable Mention: Kimberly Su, “I, Yellow Chrysanthemum"
- 1st Place: Harley Taff, “Smoke Addiction: A Sestina"
- 2nd Place: Melissa Hood, ”Riku the Watchmaker"
- Honorable Mention: Charli Elliott, “I Believe"
- 1st Place: Sienna Ballou, “The Sacrifice of the Poet in The Tragedy of Julius Caesar"
- 2nd Place: Jordan Kiserow, “Spinning Tales: How the Art of Spinning in Fairy Tales Weaves Its Way from Past to Present"
- Honorable Mention: Julia Thomson, “Consumerism in Esther and England"
- 1st Place: Selena Carbajal, “Exploitation of H-2A Migrant Workers”
- 2nd Place: Clio Skevington, “The Untapped Potential of Black Holes“
- Honorable Mention: Alison Kachuck, “The Top Life Protecting Skill for Children to Learn”
Many congratulations to this years' winners! We are grateful to Professor Kathlene Postma for organizing the competition and publication. And thank you to every student who submitted. The judges found the quality of your work exciting and remarkable. Keep writing. Keep sending your work out into the world.