Transferring Credits

General Transfer Information:  Undergraduate Students

Pacific operates on a semester basis; credits transferred from a quarter system institution are converted to semester credit by multiplying by 2/3 (6 quarter credits equals 4 semester credits).  Only courses letter-graded with a "C-" or better can be considered for transfer. Transfer grades are NOT calculated into the Pacific GPA.  Formal evaluations of transfer work are made only from official transcripts by the Registrar's Office.

There is no limit to the total number of transfer credits Pacific may accept; however degree-seeking students must meet Pacific's residency requirement, which is that students must complete 30 of the last 40 credits counted towards their degree at Pacific University.

Course Equivalencies

Certain courses taken elsewhere can be transferred into Pacific and substituted for specific Pacific courses.  Transfer equivalencies are revised frequently; they are to be used as a guide only and do not guarantee that a specific course will transfer to Pacific and/or replace a particular Pacific course. Please refer to a current Pacific catalog when considering specific course requirements or prerequisites.

Some courses are acceptable for credit, but do not substitute for a specific Pacific course.  These are identified on the transcript in the following way:

  • 2TR in place of an actual course number, e.g., HIST-2TR.  This means that lower division History credits have been awarded.
  • 3TR in place of an actual course number, e.g., ARTST-3TR.  This means that upper division Art Studio credits have been awarded.
  • The prefix "GE" stands for General Education and is used when no specific department prefix applies, e.g. "GE-2TR" or "GE-3TR".

Transfer Students

Pacific accepts the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) degree as satisfying Bachelor or Arts or Bachelor of Science core requirements with the provision that a student must meet the Foreign Language and Cornerstone core requirements. Pacific also accepts the Washington, California, and Hawai'i state equivalent of the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree with similar, but slightly different, provisions. Questions about applying transfer courses to a specific major may be referred to a department chair for evaluation.

Pacific has articulation agreements with a number of local colleges and universities.  Click for more information.

Students seeking credit from international institutions must provide an official credential evaluation in English from a Pacific-approved credential evaluation service.

Official transfer equivalency reports are based on official transfer transcripts and generated through the Registrar's Office at the time a student is admitted. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Current Pacific Students

We recommend that students discuss transfer coursework with their advisor, a department chair, and/or the Registrar's Office before taking a course(s). We can help you find out what will transfer and how it might apply.

Other Types Of Credit

Advanced Placement

Four credits are awarded for a score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) test in any field. Actual placement in Pacific courses depends on the student's preparation and is arranged through the appropriate department.  Credit previously awarded from a college or university for a high school AP course does not transfer to Pacific.

International Baccalaureate Degree

Students completing the IB Diploma with a score of 30 or higher receive several benefits. Eight semester transfer credits also are awarded for each higher examination passed with a score of 5 or higher and four credits for standard examinations passed with 5 or higher. Credit previously awarded from a college or university for a high school IB course does not transfer to Pacific.

Pacific does NOT accept vocational, remedial or developmental course credit.

Contact Us

Pacific University Office of Admissions 
1-800-677-6712 | 
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, Oregon 97116