Athletic Training Program Admissions
Interested in Scheduling a Visit or Advising Appointment?
Complete this form and Kieran Bennett, the admissions counselor for the program will contact you to schedule your visit/advising appointment!
- A complete program application. Applications will be reviewed from January to April.
- Official transcripts from every institution attended
- Last 45 credits GPA must be 2.75 (3.0 recommended)
- Responses to essay questions
- Resumé or curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation,
- One must be from an athletic trainer
- A second recommender who knows you well (athletic trainer, employer, professor, etc.)
- Documentation of a minimum of 50 hours of volunteering and/or observation with an athletic trainer
- A non-refundable application fee of $25 (U.S.) must be paid at the time you submit your application
- Currently, the Athletic Training Program is unable to accept international students. The program is in the process of submitting the required forms to allow submission of international students, and we encourage you to check back for further information
The Admissions Committee considers many factors, including:
- Strength and breadth of academic record
- Evidence of volunteering and/or observation, under the supervision of one or more professionals in the field of athletic training. Experience at a variety of settings is preferred.
- Strength of letters of evaluation
- Extracurricular and community activities
- Content of application forms and the care with which they have been prepared
Prior to enrollment in the professional program, students must earn a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and have completed the below pre-professional courses. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher and taken on a graded basis; pass-fail courses are not acceptable. Science prerequisite courses must be for science majors and pre-professional students (e.g. pre-physical therapy, pre-med, pre-pharmacy, pre-athletic training), and must include a laboratory.
If science courses were taken more than seven years prior to application, applicants must demonstrate competency in more recent coursework. Relevant current work experience will be considered for prerequisite coursework on a case by case basis.
All prerequisites must be completed through a regionally accredited college or university.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology with labs (complete series; combined courses or as separate courses)
- Biology (one course)
- General Physics (one course)
- General Chemistry (one course)
Recommended content topics within Physics and Chemistry that will help establish a strong foundation for the material taught in the athletic training program.
- Exercise Physiology (one course)
- Anatomical Kinesiology/Biomechanics (one course)
- Nutrition (one course)
- General Psychology or Sport Psychology (one course)
- General Statistics or Behavioral Statistics or Social Statistics (one course)
Other preferred courses include
- Motor Control
- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
- Medical Terminology
- Health and Wellness
Unofficial Prerequisite Worksheet
Pacific University offers an optional service for candidates who would like their academic history reviewed. Use the MSAT Unofficial Prerequisite Worksheet to help determine which prerequisites are fulfilled and which courses you may still need to complete for the Athletic Training program.
Completed worksheets can be submitted via email, fax, or postal mail.