The Oregon Healthcare Workforce Institute-Area Health Education Center (OHWI-AHEC) will host SYNAPSE: Healthcare Career Explorations, a camp for 30 first-generation college, ethnically diverse, urban underrepresented high school students from June 19 to 22, on Pacific's Hillsboro Campus.
Pre-registered high school sophomore and juniors will attend a four-day healthcare career immersion program designed to:
- Improve the academic skills of participants in critical thinking and problem solving through medical innovation group work
- Enhance the employability skills of participants and provide professional healthcare workplace exposure through on-site job shadows
- Prepare the participants for the rigor of postsecondary health science education through graduate and undergraduate student panel discussions
- Expose students to a postsecondary campus through facility and clinic tours
- Provide participants with information on how to finance a medical, graduate or professional education
- Elevate students’ compassion for serving others and desire to support community through service-
- learning activities
This program is funded in part by the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration, CareOregon, OAHHS, and WorkSystems, Inc.