Pacific University has an extensive program of grants, scholarships and awards to help students finance their education.
Scholarships for music are awarded on the basis of talent, and do not require that the recipient be a music major. All scholarship awards from the Music Department become part of the total institutional package offered by the university to the student.
All students, regardless of their major or minor, are eligible for a music scholarship with the exception of dental hygiene. Scholarship awards are offered from $2,000 to $7,000 per year, per student, renewable for all four years of study.
Future students must apply for the scholarship before they become a student at Pacific University to be eligible for this scholarship.
Music Scholarships are awarded to students during the application process to the University and are part of the student’s financial aid package upon admission. Music scholarships are based upon auditions (either live or recorded) and are awarded at the discretion of the music faculty. Each scholarship recipient is required to perform in one major ensemble appropriate to their primary instrument, per semester of residence. Additionally, each scholarship recipient is required to take lessons on their major instrument/voice for each semester in residence at Pacific.
In Person auditions will be February 4 and March 5, 2023. Auditions consist entirely of material prepared in advance by you. Contact Becca Ellenbecker at email@example.com if you have questions. Please complete the online scholarship application and upload a copy of your Letter of Recommendation and Scholarship application form.
Auditions may submitted using the application online by recording either in mp3 format or YouTube link.
If interested in auditioning for the Music Therapy program, please submit a 200 - 300 word essay about why you would like to pursue this major field. You can submit this essay through the online scholarship application.
If you wish to audition for a music scholarship audition beyond March 1, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Introduce yourself and the pieces you will perform
Selections are 10-15 minutes long and follow these criteria:
- Pianists & Organists: Two works (each from a different period) selected from the Baroque, Classical and Romantic, or Modern Period
- Vocalists: Two memorized pieces, one in the Western European "classical" style, and another from any genre showing the strengths of your voice.
- Strings: One or more movements from a baroque work and one or more movements from a classical or romantic sonata or concerto
- Winds: Two contrasting pieces, or two movements from a solo sonata or concert
- Percussion: Performance on a snare drum, timpani, and one or more mallet instruments
- Guitar: Guitarists should prepare two solo pieces. One should be slow to display your lyrical sound. The second should be at a faster tempo to display your technique.
To become a music major, a student must be admitted to Pacific University and file a declaration for the music major with the Registrar's Office.
If you have questions about applying for admission, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com, or calling at 503-352-2218.