Withdraw From Course or Exit the University
Note: The process below is standard for Forest Grove undergraduate students. Graduate, professional, and BEd students must consult their program handbooks for exiting (Withdrawal or Leave of Absence) guidelines.
Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course (before the deadline)
Students may drop a semester-long course (using BoxerOnline registration) through the 10th day of a 15-week semester without having the course appear on the transcript. After this point, and through the 10th week of the semester, students may withdraw from a course (using BoxerOnline registration); however, a "W" is posted on the transcript.
Drop/Withdrawal deadlines for half-semester (or varied length) courses are posted on the Academic Calendar. It is the student's responsibility to drop or withdraw from a course by the established deadline; failure to do so may result in a failing grade in the course.
Exiting the University (Total Withdrawal) Process
Students may choose to withdraw from all courses and exit the university, or take a Leave of Absence (LOA) for one (1) semester, up to one (1) year and do not have to apply for readmission. Returning students must contact the Registrar's Office no later than two weeks prior to the start of their return semester in order to enroll in courses. Students seeking an extension for a Leave of Absence must submit a petition to the Registrar for approval. Petitions for LOA extension must be submitted prior to the start of their original return semester; only one extension is allowed.
Steps for withdrawing from all courses or taking a Leave of Absence:
- Consult with your instructors and academic advisor to see if a Complete Withdrawal or a Leave of Absence is the best option.
- Begin with the Pacific University Exit Checklist.
- Complete an Exit/LOA Form Note: If you plan to return and continue your education the semester following your withdrawal, you may complete the Leave of Absence (LOA) section on the Exit Form.
- Complete the Pacific Reflections Questionnaire.
Withdrawn students wishing to return to Pacific University to complete their degree must submit an Application for Readmission.
Late Drop or Late Total Withdrawal
Students who are past the regular drop/withdrawal period for individual courses, or who need to totally withdraw due to health emergencies or other emergency reasons must submit a Petition Form and supporting documentation to the Registrar's Office. A statement from a healthcare provider, counselor, or other evidentiary documentation is required for a Late Withdrawal. Students are expected to submit the proper documentation and petition form no later than one term after the student has completed the class or classes for which they are requesting a Late Withdrawal.
Petition Required for Late Drop or Late Total Withdrawal:
- Students who wish to late drop individual courses or totally withdraw from courses after the withdrawal deadline must submit a Petition Form to the Registrar's Office. Students withdrawing or taking a Leave of Absence must complete the steps above.
- Students must also provide supporting documentation such as a statement from a healthcare provider, counselor, or other evidentiary documentation that supports their reason for not withdrawing before the deadline.
- Students are expected to submit the proper documentation and petition form no later than one term after the student has completed the class or classes for which they are requesting a Late Drop or Late Total Withdrawal.
- Students who sit out one or more terms and wish to return to Pacific University to complete their degree must submit an Application for Readmission.
Petition Forms may be found on the Registrar's website.