Civic Action Update: Election Day, Long Weekend Activities and More
Hey Boxers - What are you up to this week? The Tom McCall Center for Civic Engagement is watching the polls, gearing up for a long weekend, and thinking about how we can get outside & spend some time in this beautiful fall weather (hint: the SEA and Rotaract clubs can help with that!). Read on for more in this week's Civic Action Update.
ON CAMPUS OPPORTUNITIES
- Nov. 11: The upcoming Students for Environmental Activism (SEA) tree planting Trip includes transportation and all the supplies you need to help plant at the King’s Bend Natural Area Site. More.
- Nov. 11: Pacific's Rotaract Club is hosting a road clean-up in Forest Grove. More.
- Nov. 13-14: Phi Lambda Omicron biannual Red Cross blood drive is coming next week & your donation can help save a life. More.
- Ongoing: Multiple Sustainability Internships are currently hiring on campus. More.
OFF CAMPUS OPPORTUNITIES
- Ongoing: Homeplate Youth Services serves youth ages 12-24 who are experiencing housing instability. They are looking for volunteers to help with the upcoming holidays season! More.
- Ongoing: West Tuality Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to help unload donations to the ReStore, load purchases into cars, clean up donations and other tasks. More.
NOV 7: ELECTION DAY
Nov. 7 was election day, but don't worry if you didn't receive a ballot. While Oregon may have been relatively quiet, the election included two gubernatorial races (Kentucky and Mississippi), state legislature races (Virginia and Pennsylvania), a special election to fill congressional seat (Rhode Island), key political battles which included an abortion protection ballot in Ohio that could shape the state’s constitution and more.
If you want to check how these contests were decided, we recommend BallotPedia, a nonprofit that aims to provide neutral, accurate, and verifiable information about elections and candidates. If you have questions about the election, or how you can prepare for the 2024 primary and presidential elections, please visit Pacific Votes or email us any time!
Until next time,
The Staff and Students of the MCCE
P.S. Want to receive these updates straight to your email? Sign-up now.