Get Involved Via Engagement (GIVE) | McCall Center for Civic Engagement
Winter break! We will resume regular operations and event planning in January. Until then, best of luck on your exams and enjoy your holidays.
The MCCE organized 10+ amazing events in the Fall semester and are ready to do it again in the Spring. From beach clean-ups to National Stress Day ArtJamz, we know how to have fun while working toward sustainable change. Don't want to miss out? Sign-up for our "Civic Action Update" email and you'll always be in the loop!
The McCall Center for Civic Engagement encourages students to take part in making communities better through civic engagement. No matter your interests, skills, passions, or access to resources like time or transportation, we can help you find a way to get involved. We share opportunities that exist in the community, create projects for the Pacific community, and support students developing their own initiatives.
- Social Justice Retreat. January 17-19.Weekend-long, off-campus event. Transportation, food, and housing provided. Open to all Pacific students.
- Spring Work & Service Fair. February 6. 11am - 1pm.
- Parties, Primaries & the Electoral College: How to make your vote count in an election. February 26. 11:30am-12:30pm. Learn about the intricacies of the U.S. electoral system and how you can make the most of your individual vote in upcoming elections. BYO lunch - we will provide coffee, tea & treats! An RSVP is not required but does help us order the right amount of food.
- Community Conversation: Exploring Power and Privilege with Courage, Creativity & Compassion. March 10. 11:30am - 12:50pm. Open to the Pacific community & general public!
- Community Conversation: What is the Meaning of Climate Change? April 21. 11:30-12:50. Open to the Pacific community & general public!
- Community Collaboration Celebration. April 28. 4-6pm. Currently accepting RSVPs and nominations for recognition at the event.
Plus, new opportunities emerge just about every day to take action or make your voice heard to improve the lives of others or the community we live in. Watch this space for updates or stay in the loop with our semi-regular "Civic Action Update" emails!
The McCall Center offers regular opportunities to Get Involved Via Engagement (GIVE). GIVE projects are short-term experiences typically involving volunteer service, advocacy, or political activism.
Volunteer Positions: Making a Commitment to Civic Engagement
The McCall Center encourages students to engage in long-term experiences that can develop their skills, establish strong ties with our community, and make a substantial difference in social and environmental problems. To get help finding volunteer positions, students can see our sample of community partners, or meet with MCCE staff in Scott 110 to get ideas about local organizations. We encourage students seeking long-term volunteer positions related to civic engagement (and our community partners interested in recruiting students) to use Handshake, the same system used by employers outside of the university.
Past Events 2019-2020
- Work & Service Fair (8/29)
- GIVE project: SOLVE Beach Clean-up (9/21)
- Constitution Day (9/17)
- National Voter Registration Day (9/24) - Sign up NOW!
- GIVE project: Lupus Walk Event Support (9/28)
- Passion, Action, Impact Workshop (10/12, 10-2, Multi-Purpose Room of the University Center building), register here!
- Pacific Votes (election-related activities, TBD)
- GIVE project: Restoring the Environment with Kids (10/15, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM), register here!
- Community Conversation (10/22, 11:30-12:50, register here!): Topic: What does it mean to be an American?
- Make Your Own Love Rocks (10/29, 10:30-3:00pm in the UC)
- Let's Give 'Em Pumpkin to Talk About (10/31, 11-2 PM in the UC Lounge): Celebrate Halloween with candy & information about voting, sexual health, feelings, and more.
- Election Day (11/5) - ballots should be dropped in the ballot box (Pacific Ave. between Cedar and College) by 8pm
- ArtJamz (11/6) - Craft your stress away on Stress Awareness Day. All Pacific students are welcome to this event. Stop by between 6-8 p.m. at the Mac Dog House, on the 1st floor lounge of McCormick Hall, to get crafty and learn some tips on how to manage your stress.
- Indigenous Heritage Forum (11/14, 11:30-12:50)
- Community Conversation (11/12, 5:30-7:00 pm, register here!): Topic: Beyond Fake News: How We Can Find Accurate Information about the World
- Healthy Holidays for Migrant Families (11/12-11/19, all day). Holiday drive in partnership with the Counseling Center of the Forest Grove High School. Donations can be dropped in the MCCE office (110 Scott Hall, Pacific University Forest Grove Campus) or by the Christmas Tree in the Scott Hall foyer.
- For What It's Earth (11/21, 11:30-1:00) Stop by our table in the UC for a cup of warming cocoa. Sign a sustainability pledge while you're there and you'll walk away with all the supplies you need to grow some basil in your dorm room / apartment. Free and open to all!
- Faculty Course Development Mini-Grant for CE/IDP/SU/Winter applications due. Details and application here!
- Faculty Course Development Workshop for CE/IDP/SU/Winter (12/12, 9-4)