Pacific's dental hygiene program has always been on the forefront of it's field, thanks in part to the leadership of founding director Lisa Rowley. Today, Rowley remains a generous supporter of dental hygiene students, and the school is piloting innovations in dental care.
Dental Hygiene (BSDH)
The bachelor of science in dental hygiene at Pacific's Hillsboro Campus is a two-year program designed for students who have completed prerequisite coursework. The program provides a broad educational experience along with technical skills, developed in state-of-the-art facilities. The dental hygiene program provides students with a variety of clinical opportunities, caring for diverse patient populations.
- Learn from faculty who care deeply about your learning and success
- Enjoy broad educational experiences that emphasize communication skills, critical thinking, cultural awareness, community service and professional leadership
- Study in state-of-the-art classroom and clinical facilities at Pacific’s interdisciplinary Hillsboro Campus
- Work alongside graduate students in physical and occupational therapy, physician assistant studies, professional psychology, pharmacy, healthcare administration, and athletic training
- Provide care to diverse patient populations in the 16-chair Dental Hygiene Clinic, with an emphasis on providing care for patients with limited access to dental care
- Complete clinic enrichment experiences in a variety of healthcare settings which include a dental school, public health clinic, community hospital, Indian Health Services dental clinic, managed care clinics and a long-term care facility
Pacific University’s School of Dental Hygiene Studies will participate in a pilot project to help determine the feasibility of adding a dental therapist to a patient’s dental care team. Dental therapists can perform many of the preventive treatments of a dental hygienist and some of the procedures a dentist provides, but do not hold doctorates in dentistry.
University inducts one new member of 1849 Society and 10 new members of President's Circle.