Supervising Student Workers
Student workers are a valuable part of the university community. Our students provide needed human resources to help the university operate effectively. In turn, their employment at the university gives them an opportunity to support themselves while putting their studies first.
Academic and Career Advising and Human Resources work together to help facilitate inspirational work experiences that support students on their journeys to think, care, create, and pursue justice in our world. The following information is a brief overview of processes to help Student Supervisors create streamlined, enriching student employment experiences for their departments and their student workers.
Posting a Job
Departments post open positions through the university’s HRIS platform, Paycom. Many student positions are already in the Paycom system. Supervisors should check the job list before starting the process to add a new position. For step-by-step instructions on how to create a Student Job Requisition, a quick reference guide can be found on BOX.
Student positions are paid through Federal Work-Study or department funds.
At the beginning of each semester, Academic and Career Advising hosts the Work & Service Fair on the Forest Grove Campus. On- and off-campus employers and organizations are invited to set up booths to connect with students about jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities.
Each position represented to students at the Work & Service Fair should have a corresponding position listed in Paycom.
All students who apply for a position must do so through Paycom. Students who have not previously worked for the university must also go through an electronic Paycom on-boarding process that includes submitting electronic W-4 and I-9 information. It is the responsibility of supervisors to monitor the progress of their new hires’ on-boarding processes.
- Students apply for open positions on Paycom. Students eligible for Federal Work-Study may apply for Federal Work-Study and Non Work-Study positions. Students who are not eligible for Federal Work-Study may only apply for Non Work-Study positions. Positions are denoted by an FWS (Federal Work-Study) or an NWS (Non Work-Study).
- When students apply for positions, Paycom will offer the students the opportunity to save their information for future applications.
- If a student is selected for an interview, the supervisor may alert the student through Paycom or other contact methods provided in the application. For step-by-step instructions on how to hire a student in Paycom, a quick reference guide can be found on BOX.
- If the student gains employment and has worked for Pacific University in the previous year, the student’s tax information may be automatically populated in Paycom. If it is not automatically populated, it is necessary for the student to complete the Paycom New Hire process. The student’s New Hire Checklist is not complete and the student cannot work until the student’s I-9 documents have been verified by a university representative and the student's E-verify has been processed. Pacific University uses the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and Department of Homeland Security's E-verify system. Many department Administrative Assistants are able to undertake these verification tasks. Students may also visit Academic and Career Advising or the Human Resources office to have their I-9 documentation completed and E-verify processed. For reference, a list of acceptable I-9 verification documents can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.
- Supervisors will receive Paycom notifications when their students’ on-boarding process is complete.
Students track hours in the university payroll system, Paycom. Student timecards must be approved by supervisors by 10 am on the Monday prior to payday.
Students are paid bi-weekly.
Direct deposits are encouraged, and direct deposit account information may be submitted in Paycom Employee Self-Service. For students who receive hardcopy paychecks, paychecks are available on payday in the Human Resources office between 11am-2pm. All hardcopy paychecks that are not picked up from Human Resources between 11am-2pm on payday will be mailed to the address on the student’s Paycom profile at the time of payroll processing. Check mailings occur on the afternoon of payday.
Helpful Links for Student Supervisors
Do you have a student employee returning to the same job in the fall? For a faster, easier transition, tell Human Resources.