Prerequisite Coursework | Physical Therapy
All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher and taken on a graded basis unless the course was switched to pass-fail grading by an institution during the spring 2020 or summer 2020 semesters due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If given an option applicants should take prerequisite courses for a letter grade.
General Biology — 4-semester credits/5 quarter credits
- General Biology with Lab-one course or term
Human Anatomy and Physiology - 8-semester credits/12 quarter credits
- Human Anatomy with Lab or Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab
- Human Physiology with Lab or Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab
Vertebrate Anatomy with lab and Animal Physiology with lab are accepted; human is preferred. Combined anatomy and physiology courses with labs accepted. Must complete full sequence offered.
Physics — 8-semester credits/12 quarter credits
- A standard year of General Physics with labs. Calculus-based is not required.
Chemistry — 8-semester credits/12 quarter credits
- A standard year of General Chemistry with labs
Statistics — 2-semester credits/3 quarter credits
- One course from one of the following departments: Psychology, Sociology, Statistics, or Mathematics. Biostatistics is accepted.
Psychology — 6-semester credits/8 quarter credits
- One General Psychology course
- One additional course in psychology
- Two upper-division Psychology courses can be accepted
English or Writing — 3-semester credits/4 quarter credits
- One college-level English or Writing course is required
A combination of writing-intensive coursework offered outside of an English or Writing department may be considered with valid evidence, such as syllabus.
Conversion of Credits (semester credits vs. quarter credits)
All quarter credits must be converted into semester credits
- Quarter credits/1.5 = semester credits
- 1 semester credit = .67 quarter credits
- 5 quarter credits = 3.33 semester credits
7 Year Science/Statistics requirement
All science and Statistics coursework must have been completed within 7 years of the intended year of entry. For applicants applying for the Fall 2024 start term, prerequisite courses must have been completed in Fall 2017 or later.
AP credit, with an exam score of 4 or 5, is eligible to fulfill the Psychology and English/Writing prerequisite requirements.
AP credit is not accepted for science or Statistics prerequisites.
Unofficial Prerequisite Worksheet
Pacific University offers an optional service for candidates who would like their academic history reviewed. Use the DPT unofficial prerequisite worksheet to help determine which prerequisites are fulfilled and which courses you may still need to complete for the School of Physical Therapy.
Completed worksheets can be submitted via email, fax, or postal mail.
Option 1: Email (preferred)
To email your completed worksheet, please save a copy of the worksheet to your computer. Email it as an attachment to email@example.com. You will also need to attach any corresponding unofficial transcripts.
Option 2: Mail
To mail your completed worksheet, click the Print Form button at the top of the pdf file. Include a copy of your unofficial transcripts with the completed worksheet. Mail to:
Office of Admissions
190 SE 8th Ave., Suite 181
Hillsboro, OR 97123