Transferring Credits

Course Equivalencies

Transfer credit equivalencies are frequently revised and are to be used as a guide only and do not guarantee that a specific course will transfer to Pacific. Formal evaluations of transfer work are made only from official transcripts by the Registrar's Office. Please refer to a current Pacific catalog when considering specific course requirements or prerequisites.

Pacific operates on a semester basis; transfer courses accepted from a quarter system institution will be calculated at 2/3 of a semester credit. Pacific accepts graded courses of "C-" or better. Transfer grades are NOT calculated into the Pacific GPA.

Transfer courses which may be acceptable but not equivalent to a specific Pacific course are identified by:

  • "2TR" [lower division] in place of an actual course number, e.g., "HIST-2TR"
  • "3TR" [upper division] in place of an actual course number, e.g., "ARTST-3TR"
  • The prefix "GE" stands for General Education and is used when no specific department prefix applies, e.g. "GE-2TR,GE-3TR"

There is no limit to the total number of transfer credits Pacific may accept; however degree-seeking students must meet Pacific's residency requirement, which is:

  • Students must complete at least 8 credits from Pacific University in upper division courses in their major and 8 credits from Pacific University in upper division courses for any minor. Individual departments may require a greater number of credits be completed at Pacific University. For these requirements, consult the list of requirements for each major or minor.
  • Students must also complete 30 of the last 40 credits counted towards their degree at Pacific University.

Transfer Students

Pacific accepts the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) degree as satisfying university core requirements with the provision that a student must meet Pacific's Foreign Language and Cornerstone core requirements. Pacific also accepts the Washington, California, and Hawai'i state equivalent of the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree with similar, but slightly different, provisions. Questions about applying transfer courses to a specific major may be referred to a department chair for evaluation.  For Financial Aid purposes only, these students are awarded aid based upon junior standing.

Pacific has articulation agreements with a number of local colleges and universities.  Click for more information.

Students seeking credit from international institutions must provide an official credential evaluation in English from a Pacific-approved credential evaluation service.

Official transfer equivalency reports are based on official transfer transcripts and generated through the Registrar's Office at the time a student is admitted. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Current Pacific Students

We recommend that you discuss transfer coursework with your advisor, a department chair, and/or the Registrar's Office before you take the course(s). We can help you find out what will transfer and how it might apply.

If the transfer course is for a core requirement or for general credit towards the total required for graduation, the Registrar's Office can make the determination. If the course is specifically for a major or minor requirement, the department chair may need to be consulted.

Other Types Of Credit

Advanced Placement

Four credits are awarded for a score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) test in any field. Actual placement in Pacific courses depends on the student's preparation and is arranged through the appropriate department.  Credit previously awarded from a college or university for a high school AP course does not transfer to Pacific.

International Baccalaureate Degree

Students completing the IB Diploma with a score of 30 or higher receive several benefits, including the IB Achievement Scholarship and sophomore standing. Eight semester transfer credits also are awarded for each higher examination passed with a score of 5 or higher and four credits for standard examinations passed with 5 or higher. Credit previously awarded from a college or university for a high school IB course does not transfer to Pacific.

Pacific does NOT accept vocational, remedial or developmental course credit.