Civic Engagement Programs and Activities
In 2016-2017 alone, Pacific University students contributed over 400,000 hours of service to the community. Pacific has earned honors for community engagement, such as a spot on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
- Mentoring and tutoring elementary through high school students
- Advocating for change and social justice
- Restoring natural areas, parks, rivers, and beaches
- Teaching literacy or English as a second language
- Growing and harvesting food in a sustainable manner
- Providing shelter for those in need
- Enhancing health and well-being
How to Get Involved
- Sign up to receive our "Civic Action Updates" for the latest volunteer positions, internships and other opportunities
- Visit the MCCE in Pacific Hall 110 to check out information on community agencies and organizations, or to sign up for a sponsored program
- Attend the Work & Service Fair at the beginning of each semester for information from community partners
- Learn more about civic engagement and academic credit available in civic engagement courses
- If you have been awarded federal work study as part of a financial aid package, you are eligible to earn your award assisting at a variety of community agencies and schools. Contact the Career Development Center for details.
- Participate in service programs sponsored by your residence hall, campus club, sorority or fraternity
- Bring your own idea to the MCCE for assistance
Not finding what you’re looking for? No matter what your interests and passions are, there is a way to tap what you have to offer through civic engagement. The possibilities are endless, so if you haven’t seen something that excites you, come into the MCCE and ask for help. We can check our database for activities supporting the arts, working with correctional facilities, caring for animals, and many other options, or just talk through how to take action on your own about something you want to change.
Want to stay in the loop about all upcoming opportunities? Sign up to receive our "Civic Action Update" emails for current announcements and the visit the Get Involved page for other ideas.