Grading and Credits

Letter Grading

Grades are recorded by letter, with the following point values:

A 4.0 Excellent
A- 3.7 Excellent
B+ 3.3 Good
B 3.0 Good
B- 2.7 Good
C+ 2.3 Satisfactory
C 2.0 Satisfactory
C- 1.7 Substandard
D+ 1.3 Substandard
D 1.0 Substandard
F 0 Failure
P   Pass*
H Pass - A equivalent (College of Optometry only)
HP Pass - B equivalent (College of Optometry only)
N   No Pass
I**   Incomplete
W   Withdrawal by Student
AW   Administrative Withdrawal
X   Continuing courses
WP   Work In Progress
L   Actual grade will be turned in late
NGR   No Grade Recorded
AU   Audit

* The threshold for a P grade differs by program. In Pharmacy, P = 90% achievement rate or higher; Audiology, P = 85% or higher; Physician Assistant Studies, P = 80% or higher. In Arts & Sciences, Education and Optometry, P = a grade of C or higher; Occupational Therapy, P = C+ or higher; all other programs, B or higher.

** Prior to Fall 2013, Pacific University recorded Incompletes with a contingent grade, the grade the student would earn if the agreed upon course work was not completed in the allotted time. Grades used were: IA-; IB+; IB; IB-; IC+; IC; IC-; ID+; ID; IF; IN. These are not counted in the GPA.

Incompletes (Arts & Sciences)

An instructor may issue a grade of Incomplete (I) only when the major portion of a course has been completed satisfactorily but health or other emergency reasons prevent the student from finishing all requirements of the course. Prior to submitting an Incomplete grade, the instructor and the student complete an Incomplete Grade Contract detailing the completion and submission of all remaining work. After submission of the work, the instructor completes a Grade Change form and submits it to the associate dean for Student Academic Affairs for approval; the form is then processed by the Registrar.

Latest Completion/Expiration Dates

  • Fall Incompletes: Dec. 31 of the following year
  • Winter Incompletes: Jan. 31 of the following year
  • Spring and Summer Incompletes: May 31 of the following year

If agreed-upon work is not completed and no grade change submitted in the allotted period (and an extension has not been granted), when the Incomplete expires the grade becomes an F or N. Faculty may request an extension of an Incomplete (before the expiration date of the Incomplete) by notifying the Registrar’s office.

Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the registrar or the associate dean for Student Academic Affairs.

Pass/No Pass Option

Students must declare the pass/no pass option before the end of the 10th week of the course, by completing the appropriate form in the Registrar's Office. Once you declare the pass/no pass option you may not revert back to the graded option.

Arts & Sciences, Education, Optometry: P grade is equivalent to a C or above. Optometry students may receive an H grade for A work that is demonstrated by exemplary achievements in patient care or an HP for B work in patient care that is consistently above proficiency standards in patient care courses. In Arts and Sciences, students may take one course, in addition to courses requiring P/N grading, each semester on a pass/no pass basis; such courses may not be used to fulfill core requirements, science requirements for the B.S. degree, major or minor requirements, or teaching endorsement requirements.

Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Professional Psychology: P grade equivalent to a B or above.

Note: All X grades are changed to either P or N grades.

Repeated Courses

If a course taken at Pacific University is repeated at Pacific University: in the College of Arts & Sciences and Education, only the higher grade is used in computing the grade point average; in Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Physical Therapy, and Professional Psychology, both grades are counted in the grade point average.

If a course taken at Pacific is repeated at another institution, the Pacific grade will still be counted in the GPA. No course may be counted more than once toward graduation requirements.

Dean's List

In order to make the Dean's List in the College of Arts & Sciences, a student must achieve a term GPA of 3.70 with 12 or more graded hours.


With the consent of the instructor, students may attend any class. Students auditing classes may participate in discussion with the instructor's consent but will not receive credit or evaluation of papers or tests. To receive notation on their transcripts, students must register as auditors and pay the auditing fee. All audits must be declared by the end of the Add-Drop period. Once you declare the audit option you may not revert back to the graded option.

Waiver of Departmental Requirements and Prerequisites

Upon petition, academic departments may waive requirements for a major or minor, if faculty are satisfied that the student has already achieved the knowledge expected. Similarly, prerequisites may be waived at the discretion of the instructor. Course waivers do not reduce the number of credits needed for any requirements.

Transfer Credits and GPA

Only grades earned at Pacific are calculated into the Pacific GPA. Courses taken elsewhere, if approved by the registrar, can be used to meet degree requirements, but the grades in transfer courses are not included in the calculation of the GPA. A grade of C- or below earned at another institution will not transfer to Pacific University.

Oregon Independent Colleges Cross-Registration

Pacific University participates in the Oregon Independent Colleges (OICA) Cross-Registration program, in which students enrolled full-time at any OICA college may take a maximum of one undergraduate course per term at another OICA campus. No additional tuition will be charged for the cross-registered course by either institution, with the exception of possible overload or special course fees. Students may not cross-register for a course that is offered on their own campus unless scheduling conflicts prevent taking the course. Registration is permitted on a space-available basis. For more information contact the Pacific University Registrar's Office.

Academic Withdrawal, Add-Drop

Students may add courses through the first ten class days of the semester (first three days of a three week term). Students may drop a class through the first ten class days of the semester (first three days of a three week term) without having the class appear on the transcript. Students may withdraw through the tenth week of the semester (second week of a three week term) and receive a W on the transcript, with no grade penalty. Late adds, drops, or withdrawals are normally not permitted unless approved by the appropriate Academic Standards committee.

It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Registrar's Office and the instructor regarding withdrawal from a class; failure to do so may result in a failing grade. Prior to the end of the withdrawal period instructors may notify the Registrar of student(s) not attending class, and may withdraw them and issue a grade of W. If a student has pre-registered for a class and does not attend during the first two weeks (first three days of a three week term), that student may be dropped from the class (unless prior arrangements have been made).

Note for Professional Psychology Students: Withdrawal from three courses constitutes grounds for dismissal from the program except under extenuating circumstances.

Instructors may withdraw a student from a class for misconduct, or for disruptive or endangering behavior that interferes with the faculty member's obligation to set and meet academic and behavioral standards in each class. Misconduct or disruption does not apply to the content of speech or written work protected by freedom of expression or academic freedom. Due process will be followed and students may appeal such decisions to the appropriate committee or administrator.

Students who must withdraw for health emergencies or other emergency reasons may be granted an Administrative Withdrawal by the dean of students (for undergraduate students) or by the appropriate dean or program director (for graduate/professional students). The dean/program director will consult with the course instructors and may require a statement from a physician or other documentation.

The dean of students, acting on behalf of the university, may withdraw a student from the university if the student has mental or physical health problems that cause the student to engage in or threaten to engage in behavior which (a) poses a danger of causing physical harm to the student or to others or (b) directly and substantially impedes the activities of other members of the campus community. (The procedure to be followed in these withdrawals is printed in its entirety in Pacific Stuff and is in accordance with the guidelines of the American Psychiatric Association and Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973.) Re-enrollment will be at the discretion of the Dean of Students, in consultation with appropriate health professionals.