Transfer Equivalencies

How do courses transfer to Pacific University? 

  • Transfer guides for several local community colleges can be a starting point for you to reference. 
  • Formal evaluations of transfer work are made only from official transcripts by the Registrar's Office.
  • Please refer to a current Pacific catalog when considering specific course requirements or prerequisites.

Semester vs. Quarter Schools 

Pacific operates on a semester basis; transfer courses accepted from a quarter system institution will be calculated at .67 of a semester hour.

For example, 15 credits from PCC = 10.05 semester credits. It all comes out even in the end because of the total credits required to graduate.

Grading and General Equivalencies

  • Pacific accepts graded courses of "C-" or better.
  • Transfer grades are not calculated into the Pacific GPA. You will start fresh!
  • Transfer courses which may be acceptable but not equivalent to a specific Pacific course are identified by:
    • "2TR" (lower division) in place of an actual course number, e.g. "HIST-2TR"
    • "3TR" (upper division) in place of an actual course number, e.g. "ARTST-3TR"
  • The prefix "GE" stands for General Education and is used when no specific department prefix applies, e.g. "GE-2TR, GE-3TR"
    • These credits can count towards electives

Credit Limits and Degree Requirements

There is no limit to the total number of transfer credits Pacific may accept; however degree-seeking students must meet Pacific’s residency requirement, which is as follows. 

  • Students must complete at least eight credits from Pacific University in upper division courses in their major and eight credits from Pacific University in upper division courses for any minor. Individual departments may require a greater number of credits be completed at Pacific University. For these requirements, consult the list of requirements for each major or minor.
  • Students must also complete 30 of the last 40 hours counted towards their degree at Pacific University
  • Pacific accepts the Oregon Block Transfer AA degree as meeting junior standing, just for financial aid purposes, and satisfying university Core requirements with the exception of Pacific's Foreign Language and Cornerstone Core requirements. Pacific also accepts the Washington State equivalent of the Oregon Block Transfer AA degree with the same provisions.
  • Questions about applying transfer courses to a specific major should be referred to the department chair in that discipline
  • Students seeking credit from international institutions must provide an official credential evaluation in English from a Pacific-approved credential evaluation service.
  • Official transfer equivalency reports are based on official transcripts and generated through the Registrar's Office at the time a student is admitted. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Staff in the Advising Office also is available to help transfer students navigate this process.