Dental Hygiene Prerequisite Coursework
Applicants must complete all of the following coursework in order to be eligible to enter the Dental Hygiene program. Coursework must be completed by mid-August of the intended year of entry. Applicants may have coursework in progress at the time of application.
- Credits must be completed at a regionally accredited institution
- Courses may be used only once
- In general, Pass/No Pass coursework is not acceptable
- Prerequisites must be passed with a "C" (2.0) or higher, a "C-" is not acceptable
- Coursework needs to be at the college level (in general this means 100 or higher)
- Natural Science courses are recommended to be completed within 7 years from entry
- Applicants must have a minimum of 48 semester credits or 72 quarter credits by the time the program starts
Natural Science Courses (16 semester credits or 20 quarter credits)
-Human Anatomy and Physiology, labs required, full series required
-One Microbiology Course, lab recommended but not required
-One Chemistry Course, lab required
Communications (6 semester credits or 8 quarter credits)
-One Writing or English Composition Course
-One Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communication Course
Social Sciences (6 semester credits or 8 quarter credits)
-One Psychology Course
-One Sociology Course
Mathematics (3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits)
-One College Level Math Course (generally 100 or higher)
Nutrition (2 semester credits or 2 quarter credits)
-One Nutrition Course
Spanish (3 semester credits or 3 quarter credits)
-One College Level Spanish Course, high school courses are not acceptable
-Can be waived if applicant is fluent
Humanities (8 semester credits or 12 quarter credits)
-Any combination of courses in the following departments: art, art history, music, theatre, media arts, world language, literature, philosophy, religion, ethics, history, anthropology, gender studies, geography, communications and humanities
Unofficial Coursework Evaluation
This unofficial prerequisite evaluation is to help you determine which required coursework you have completed and which coursework you still need to meet our prerequisite requirements.
Required prerequisite coursework does not need to be completed to apply to the School of Dental Hygiene Studies. To be eligible for admission for a given academic year you need to be able to show that you can complete all required prerequisite coursework by mid-August of the year of entry.
To receive an evaluation, fill out the Dental Hygiene Unofficial Prerequisite Worksheet (pdf).
If you have any questions about courses at a certain institution, please contact us.
Submissions via Email
To email your completed worksheet, fill out the form and save to your computer. Please email this as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. It can be helpful to attach any corresponding transcripts as well.
If you have questions about specific prerequisite requirements, please contact us at 503-352-7224 or email@example.com.
English Language Proficiency Policy
A satisfactory command of the English language is required prior to admission to Pacific University. Please note that this requirement applies to all applicants if English is not their native language, including permanent residents and citizens. If English is your native language, you do not need to prove proficiency.
Valid Proof of English Language Proficiency
The following criteria represent different ways to prove English proficiency for this program. Only one of the below is needed to prove English language proficiency. The program may make exceptions on a case by case basis.
- Completion of a high school diploma or GED in the US
- Completion of all prerequisite courses in the US
- Completion of an Associate's or higher degree from a US institution
- Achieving the minimum required official score on the International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.
Minimum Test Score Requirements
TOEFL iBT = 79 or higher
TOEFL Essentials = 8.0 or higher
IELTS = 6.5 or higher
Duolingo = 110 or higher