Rachel Thompson DHS '17 joined the Dentists at Orenco team in Hillsboro, Ore.
School of Dental Hygiene Studies
The School of Dental Hygiene Studies (DHS) at Pacific University offers a bachelor of science in dental hygiene. This program includes two years of dental health courses completed at Pacific University, following completion of required prerequisite coursework. The school also operates a 16-chair Pacific Dental Hygiene Clinic at the Pacific University Hillsboro Campus and provides continuing education opportunities for dental hygienists.
We provide an outstanding education to prepare leaders in dental hygiene, compassionate patient care in a variety of settings and exemplary service to the community and the profession.
To create and sustain a reputation of excellence in education, service and scholarship that is widely recognized and respected in both the profession and the community.
- Prepare dental hygiene professionals for leadership roles in clinical practice, public health, education, research, administration and advocacy.
- Provide equitable, inclusive and culturally appropriate patient-centered care that is based on current standards of practice.
- Foster an environment that promotes discovery, application and dissemination of evidence-based research.
- Promote a commitment to service through professional association involvement, community partnerships and interprofessional collaborations.
At the School of Dental Hygiene Studies
- You will find faculty who care deeply about the learning process and are committed to your success in the program
- You will enjoy a broad educational experience which emphasizes communication skills, critical thinking, cultural awareness, community service, and professional leadership
- You will learn in a supportive environment which embraces creativity, flexibility, and diversity
- You will study in state-of-the-art classroom and clinical facilities at our Hillsboro Campus along with graduate students in physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant studies, professional psychology, pharmacy, healthcare administration and audiology
- You will provide care to diverse patient populations in our 16-chair Dental Hygiene Clinic which provides dental health services to the community with special emphasis on patients who have limited access to dental care
- You will complete clinic enrichment experiences in a variety of healthcare settings which include a dental school, public health clinic, community hospital, Indian Health Services dental clinic, managed care clinics and a long-term care facility
- You will have a unique opportunity for interdisciplinary study with students and faculty in Pacific University's other professional programs and through a broad range of community affiliations
SpeakOut’s Race, Power, and Privilege E-Course offers video lessons, readings, activities, reflections, check-ins, and resources that help foster a more equitable and inclusive campus culture. Free enrollment being offered to a limited number of undergraduate and graduate students.
GradRates says value of Pacific University's undergraduate degree in dental hygiene makes it No. 1 in the nation.