Frequently Asked Questions about the Counseling Center

Why do students seek counseling?

Some of the common concerns students address in counseling include adjustment to college or graduate/professional programs, depression, anxiety, grief and loss, healing from interpersonal violence, relationship concerns, academic performance, identity exploration, body image, substance abuse, eating concerns, identity exploration, and stress management.

Am I eligible for services?

Enrolled Pacific University students who have paid the Student Support Fee are eligible for services at the Student Counseling Center (the Student Support Fee is included in standard tuition payments).

For telehealth appointments, the student must be physically located in the state of Oregon due to licensing regulations.

In cases where SCC staff determine that your concerns are beyond the Scope of Practice provided by the SCC, you will be referred to mental health providers in the community. 

How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?

Contact the Student Counseling Center to make an appointment (current hours). Walk in to one of our clinics (see addresses below), call us at 503-352-2191, or email us at, to request an appointment with a counselor and we will follow-up with you. 

Generally students are seen within one to two weeks for an initial appointment. Students are also welcome to attend the walk-in hour (noon Monday through Friday) to initiate services at the Counseling Center. Students in immediate need of support can call our 24/7 Support & Crisis Line at 503-352-2999 or access local emergency resources.

Where are the Student Counseling Centers located?

Forest Grove Clinic 2142 College Way

Hillsboro Clinic 730 SE Oak St, Ste. D

We also see students on our Protected Data Zoom teletherapy platform. Students must be physically located in the state of Oregon due to mental health licensing laws.

How often can I come for counseling?

Counselors generally see clients on a bi-weekly basis at an agreed upon appointment time.

Can I request a specific counselor?

In accessing counseling, we recognize that one’s culture and identity impact one’s worldview and perspective. At times, students may request to be paired with a therapist of a specific background, identity, or lived experience. This information can be communicated when requesting an appointment or communicated on the initial paperwork. We greatly value students’ expressed needs and will strive to accommodate requests within the capacities at the SCC and the current staffing. When we are unable to accommodate a preference, we will work to assist with an appropriate referral for care in the community when requested.

What if I don’t feel comfortable with the counselor who is assigned to work with me?

There are times that for various reasons clients don’t feel comfortable with their counselors. The Student Counseling Center works to provide the best possible counseling services and recognizes that at times clients may want to request a different counselor. We encourage you to discuss your concerns with your counselor if possible; you also may contact the Clinic Coordinator or the Director at 503-352-2191 when such situations arise.

Are counseling services confidential?

All information gathered in counseling, including the fact that a student has come into the Student Counseling Center, is held in strict confidence. No information is released to college officials, faculty members, coaches, parents, or outside agencies except upon written request by the student and what the law requires counselors to report.

The main, but not only, exceptions to confidentiality may arise in situations involving danger to self or others, abuse or neglect of a child or vulnerable adult, and responses to lawsuits and legal actions, subpoenas or court orders, consistent with SCC staff members’ professional obligations and state and federal law. All counselors will discuss confidentiality, fully detailed in the Consent for Clinical Services, when students are seen for their first appointment.

Can I come to the Student Counseling Center for academic accommodation documentation?

Diagnosis and recommendations for disability accommodations is a complex process to understand the presence, intensity, and duration of various symptoms, degree of impairment in academic or life functioning, and an evaluation of what adjustments may help to mitigate symptoms and improve functioning. This evaluation sometimes requires psychological testing. For example, diagnosis of autism, ADHD, or a learning disability requires specialist providers.

Because the SCC serves the entire student body and experiences a very high demand for our therapy services, our primary focus is to provide consultations, individual and group therapy, and acute/crisis services. We do not have the resources to provide psychological testing, and we do not engage in assessment or therapy for the sole purpose of disability documentation. 

If you need care off-campus, the Office of Accessibility and Accommodation Services (OAA), the Student & Employee Health Center, the Office of Student Support, and the Student Counseling Center (SCC) are happy to provide referrals upon request.

Can the Student Counseling Center write a letter of support for my Emotional Support Animal?

As described above, the SCC does not have the resources to provide psychological assessments for the purpose of disability accommodations, including Emotional Support Animal (ESA) prescriptions. Students that are interested in obtaining such documentation under the Fair Housing Act should seek this documentation from a prior medical or mental health provider or by starting a disability assessment process through off campus resources. It is important to ask if the provider is covered under your insurance plan, if they will provide the evaluation and documentation of a disability to prescribe the use of an ESA, and the cost of this evaluation. If you need referrals, contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodation Services (OAA), the Student & Employee Health Center, the Office of Student Support, or the Student Counseling Center (SCC).

How do I request my counseling records?

If you would like to request your records, please contact the SCC by calling, emailing, or visiting our office, to state the purpose and content of your request. We may need to discuss with you the parameters, means, and potential ramifications of the release of your records. If you have questions or would like assistance to determine whether you will need a full record, treatment summary, or other documentation, please let us know and we will have the Director or a licensed provider contact you to discuss your situation and help to determine your best options. You will need to complete a Release of Information form in order to authorize the release of your protected mental health information. Please allow 7-10 business days for processing.

Is counseling only for people who have serious emotional problems?

It is not uncommon to question whether your difficulties warrant reaching out for counseling services; people often feel like their concerns aren't significant enough. We encourage you to come in to the SCC to talk it over in a first appointment and we can make a plan for support together. Many students encounter challenges that are not easily resolved, or their usual ways of handling problems aren’t working well. University and graduate/professional school work can be incredibly stressful. Counseling can be a helpful means of support to address concerns that may be interfering with one's ability to function.

What if I don’t want to see a counselor and just want some information about mental health or common concerns students face?

All students are welcome to visit the Student Health and Counseling Centers during business hours to pick up information focused on a variety of health and mental health topics. Also, the Student Counseling Center website provides links to online resources including self-help sites.

Contact Us

Forest Grove Clinic
2142 College Way 

Hillsboro Clinic
730 SE Oak Street, Ste. D 

Phone: 503-352-2191


SCC 24/7 Support & Crisis Line | 503-352-2999

Mailing Address
UC Box A174
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, OR 97116