How to Apply | Vision Science (MS)
Every year, the Vision Science MS Program welcomes admission applications from students keen on the value of vision research. If you are considering a career in vision science, you are encouraged to apply. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
The online application will be available in the near future. For now, please submit all your application materials by surface mail before the deadlines specified below.
General Application Deadlines
- Priority Application Deadline: January 15, 2018
- Final Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
Submitting your application on or before the priority deadline will allow you to be considered for an early interview. All applications submitted after the priority deadline will be scheduled for an interview in the spring after the final application deadline. The Vision Science Graduate Programs Committee may choose to accept applications outside of the normal application period.
OD/MS Concurrent Degree Application
- Current 1st-year OD students application deadlines: December 1 or March 15
- Current 2nd-year OD students application deadline: December 1
Download the OD/MS application form.
Students who are currently enrolled in Pacific University Doctor of Optometry Program can apply for the dual OD/MS degrees, with discounted tuition for the second degree enrolled. The preferred application deadlines are scheduled to allow OD/MS students to graduate with both OD and MS in VS degrees concurrently. If currently enrolled in our OD program, an applicant can also apply after the above deadlines; however, it may not be plausible to receive the MS degree concurrently with your OD degree.
Application for Post-OD MS Program
Applicants with an OD degree from an ACOE accredited optometry program may receive the MS degree with one year of study. The application is open year round. Please contact Dr. Yu-Chi Tai for details.
Required Application Materials
To be eligible for consideration by the Vision Science MS Program Committee, your application and all accompanying materials must be received no later than the above deadlines to be considered.
Applicants from an institute with MOU or special arrangements established with Pacific University College of Optometry should contact the program director, Dr. Yu-Chi Tai, for details.
For all other applicants, your application package should include the following items:
- A completed Vision Science Graduate Program Application Form (fillable pdf)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- At least one reference form must be from a class instructor.
- Reference letters should be sent from the recommenders directly to the Graduate Admissions Office by surface mail or by email.
- Each recommender should also fill out a copy of the Reference Form to be sent with the reference letter.
- Personal statement of purpose
- explaining the purpose for applying for the program
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Waived if the applicant is a current student or alumnus of Pacific University College of Optometry
- Prerequisite worksheet (included in the application form)
- Please fill the Prerequisite Worksheet on the application form based on your final official transcript
- Exempted for applicants with one of the following conditions
- With a bachelor degree or higher in Optometry or related clinical field from a regionally accredited institution
- A current student or alumnus of Pacific University College of Optometry
- For all other applicants:
- Carefully follow the Prerequisite Worksheet on the application form based on your final official transcript.
- All coursework must be completed within the last 7 years or planned to be completed before the program starts in the fall semester of the same year.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Required for all applicants whose native language is not English
- Conditional admission may be given without report of English proficiency, but the requirement of English proficiency must be met before matriculation into the program
- May be satisfied by meeting one of the following conditions:
- Completion of a bachelor's, master's, doctorate or professional degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from countries where English is both one of the official languages of the country, and the only language of instruction.
- Have official documentation from the institution verifying that the applicant's undergraduate degree is from an institution where all instruction is in English.
- Minimum acceptable official score on a qualifying English Language test. Minimum score requirements listed on admission requirements
- For Post-OD application
- Applies only if you have an OD degree from an ACOE accredited optometry college and are interested in the one-year post-OD MS program;
- You must meet the following conditions:
- With cumulative grade point average (GPA) 3.0 or better from your OD program
- Qualified for Oregon OD license
- Please submit the course catalog/class syllabi for your OD program
- Application fee (US$40)
- Waived for applicants of current students or alumni of Pacific University College of Optometry
- International Credentials Evaluation
- For applicants of graduates of international college and universities outside of North America only
- Please arrange for the evaluation received by the application deadline to facilitate the review process
- Course description, course syllabi and/or a course catalog may be requested on a case-by-case basis
- After the initial review of a completed application, the Vision Science Graduate Programs Committee may contact qualifying candidates for an interview through video-conference interface (e.g., Skype)
The Vision Science Graduate Committee will make the final decisions on other waiver and conditions of any application requirements.