OptomCAS and Test Information
Your primary application will be submitted to OptomCAS (Optometry Central Application Service). The OptomCAS website address is portal.optomcas.org.
- Letters of Recommendation (LOR)—Two are required. Within the LOR’s submitted to OptomCAS, one must be from a non-relative optometrist. A second must be from a professor who has taught you in college, careful consideration should be given to a faculty member who can speak to your ability to be successful in optometry school and the profession of optometry. Designate your recommenders early in the application process to avoid delays.
- Essay—This essay should not be repeated or rephrased within the Pacific University Supplemental Application required essays. The essay for OptomCAS is “Please describe what inspires your decision for becoming an optometrist, including your preparation for training in this profession, your aptitude and motivation, the basis for your interest in optometry, and your future career goals.”
- Official College and University Transcripts—Official transcripts from every college and university you have attended must be sent directly to OptomCAS. Review the instructions in the applicant portal link carefully before requesting your transcripts. Request transcripts early and check your account frequently to ensure your information has been received.
- Other Questions—Please refer to the OptomCAS website for questions or support regarding the application.
- The OAT or GRE is required for all applicants.
- The test date must be no earlier than two years prior to the opening of the current OptomCAS session, and the first attempt no later than February 13, 2019 for scores to be valid for Fall 2019 entry. Applicants can retake the exam on or before April 1, 2019 for Fall 2019.