Prerequisite Worksheet | Optometry
Admitted students must be able to provide a final official transcript showing all prerequisite courses completed with a grade of “C” or higher prior to intended date of entry. Applicants can apply with prerequisites still in progress.
Credit will be accepted from any regionally accredited institution including universities and community colleges. The College of Optometry accepts online prerequisite coursework for no more than 8-semester credits or two courses; whichever is less. If taking online science prerequisite courses, it is required that labs are physical, not virtual.
A maximum of 8-semester credits of AP or IB credit can be used toward the prerequisite requirements for applicants with qualifying scores. A qualifying score is a 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement test or a 5 or higher on the IB examination. If using AP or IB credit you can list your test score in the grade section of the worksheet.
- Microbiology with lab
- Human or Vertebrate Anatomy with lab*
- Human or Animal Physiology with lab*
- Complete General Chemistry sequence with labs
- Complete Organic Chemistry sequence with labs or combination of Organic Chemistry with lab and Biochemistry with lab
- Complete General Physics sequence with labs
- General Psychology
- Two English courses that have been taken from the Department of English or Writing are required. Courses in writing composition, expository, technical or scientific writing are strongly recommended
*All applicants are required to take a complete Human Anatomy and Physiology sequence with labs. This may be satisfied with either a combined series of Human Anatomy and Physiology with labs or separate semesters of Anatomy (lab required) and Physiology (lab required). Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if a lab was not offered at your institution.
Unofficial Prerequisite Evaluation Worksheet
The unofficial prerequisite worksheet (pdf) is to help you determine which prerequisites you have fulfilled and those which you have remaining to meet the prerequisite coursework for the College of Optometry.
The following prerequisite courses must have been completed within the last ten years: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry (if applicable) and General Physics.
In-depth experience in the sciences within the last ten years may be able to be substituted for expired coursework on a case-by-case basis. Examples include applicants pursuing a doctorate degree in the sciences whose general science prerequisites were completed more than ten years ago. Optometric or ophthalmic experience may not be substituted for expired courses.
To submit the worksheet:
Email email@example.com | Fax (503) 352-7290
Office of Graduate Admissions
190 SE 8th Ave
Hillsboro, OR 97123
Please allow two weeks to receive the evaluated worksheet back after you submit it.
Bachelor’s Degree Completion Option
Applicants can apply to Pacific University College of Optometry without earning a bachelor's degree prior to the intended year of entry. Applicants seeking admission under the bachelor's degree completion option must fulfill all of the prerequisite requirements, in addition to an overall total of at least 90-semester credits from an accredited college or university in addition to:
- 12-semester credits in the humanities from at least two of the following disciplines: art, communications, English, history, humanities, languages, music, philosophy, religion, speech and theater
- 12-semester credits in the social sciences from at least two of the following disciplines: anthropology, business, cultural studies, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology and sociology
Unofficial Bachelor's Degree Option Prerequisite Evaluation Worksheet
If an applicant is admitted under the bachelor’s degree completion option, they will be awarded a Bachelor of Science in Vision Science degree from Pacific University College of Optometry after the successful completion of the first year OD curriculum.
There is no separate application process for applicants applying through the bachelor’s degree completion option. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.