Program Admissions | MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Applicants for the MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences program must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher and/or pre-requisite or last 45 credit GPA of 3.0 or higher. In addition, applicants need to complete 62 credits of prerequisite coursework in addition to the following requirements for consideration for the MS program:
- Bachelor’s Degree: At the time of applying, students must have or expect to earn a bachelor’s degree prior to start of the program. Students pursuing an approved Pacific University School of Pharmacy Bridge Program are eligible to apply for the MS program.
- Essay: Students will submit a one-page essay detailing their research interests and professional aspirations.
- Transcripts:Arrange for all U.S. transcripts to be sent directly to our Graduate Admissions office (Foreign credits will need to be sent as a WES evaluation)
- Completed MS Application Form: Students must submit this application to be considered for the joint degree program.
Conversion of hours | All quarter hours must be converted to semester hours. Quarter hours divided by 1.5 = semester hours. Example: 12 quarter hours = 8 semester hours
General Biology with labs | 8 semester credits
- Year-long series of general biology with labs intended for science majors.
Microbiology (lab not required) | 3 semester credits
Anatomy and Physiology with labs | 8 semester credits
- Prefer: Human Anatomy, Human Physiology; yearlong series; courses taken at the same institution preferred. Combined A&P courses accepted.
Recommended additional courses | Molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, immunology
General Chemistry with labs | 8 semester credits
- Yearlong series of general chemistry with labs intended for science majors.
Organic Chemistry with labs | 8 semester credits
Recommended additional course | Biochemistry
General or upper-level Physics with lab
English Composition | 3 semester credits
Other English | 3 semester credits
- May include composition, literature, creative writing, poetry, etc.
May include speech, communication, debate
General or Abnormal Psychology
Microeconomics or Macroeconomics
May include anthropology, geography, government, history, human development, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology
May include foreign language, drama, geography, history, religion, philosophy, literature, performance arts, visual arts
Is the GRE required? No. There is good evidence that GRE scores do not correlate to success in graduate programs. Here's an interesting article about this topic for your consideration.
What is your application deadline? The Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences program subscribes to a rolling admissions cycle, meaning that we evaluate applications as they are received ("roll in"), rather than waiting to review applications after a hard deadline. Based on this format, we encourage prospective students to apply as early as possible.
Do prospective students need to contact faculty mentors with whom they’re interested in working prior to submitting their MS application? We certainly encourage students to contact principal investigators prior to applying. That way applicants get a better idea of who they'd be working with and more detail on their potential projects. However, this is not required.
Do you offer waivers or paid assistantships to cover tuition costs? Unfortunately, we do not offer any tuition waivers or assistantships at this point; however, it is something we are currently working on developing.
Is the MSPS program STEM Extension eligible? Yes F-1 applicants are eligible for two years of work without needing a work visa.