Frequently Asked Questions | Physical Therapy

What type of degree does this program offer? Is the program accredited?

Upon the successful completion of the three-year program, graduates will receive a doctor of physical therapy degree.

Yes, the Physical Therapy Program offers education for entry into the profession and for advanced study. The doctor of physical therapy (DPT) is the degree granted to students who complete the entry-level program and to clinicians who complete the transition program. The school has been graduating professional physical therapists since 1977. The school is accredited through the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).

Does Pacific University require the PTCAS application?

Yes, in order to apply to the Physical Therapy Program at Pacific University you will need to complete the PTCAS application. Learn more about how to apply.

Do I need a completed bachelor's degree to apply?

Yes, all prospective students applying to the program must have a completed bachelor's degree or be in process to complete a bachelor's degree by the start of the program, if admitted.

Is there a time limitation on the required prerequisite coursework?

All science and statistics prerequisite coursework must have been taken within the last seven years. All other required prerequisite coursework in psychology and English/writing may be completed at any time.

To ensure prerequisite coursework will fulfill our requirements, we recommend completing and submitting the prerequisite worksheet with a copy of your transcripts (official or unofficial) for review by the Graduate Admissions Counselor for the program. Learn more about required coursework and the prerequisite worksheet.

Does all of my prerequisite coursework and direct clinical patient care experience need to be completed by the time I apply to the program?

You can still apply if you have pending prerequisite coursework. Please be aware that due to the fall deadline for PT applications, grades from fall classes (courses taken during the application cycle) will not be used in the evaluation of the application, nor will they be used in the GPA calculations. It is recommended to have as many of the sciences prerequisites either started or completed when you apply. If admitted into the program, all pending prerequisite coursework must be completed with a “C” or higher grade before the start of the program in August.

Do you require the GRE or MCAT to apply to the program? Will my application be more competitive if I take either of the tests?

No, our program does not require either test to apply. Rather, we require the specific prerequisite coursework, hours of PT observation, and the minimum cumulative GPA requirement to apply to our program.

Do you require a minimum GPA to apply to the program?

We require a GPA of 3.2 or higher for the cumulative and math and science GPA calculations.  All required GPAs must meet or exceed the 3.2 minimum at the time the PTCAS application is submitted for an application to be reviewed.  You can learn more about how these GPA's are calculated by visiting the PTCAS website.

Is there a difference in tuition if I am an in-state resident or an out-of-state resident?

Pacific University is a private liberal arts institution which does not require in-state residence or hold a preference for in-state candidates. Our tuition fees are the same for all applicants, in-state or out-of-state.

*International students must obtain a valid and current F-1 visa or have permanent residency in the United States to apply to our program.

If I am an internationally trained medical professional, what steps must I take to apply?

We require all international students to obtain a valid and current F-1 visa or have permanent residency in the United States to apply to our program. In addition, all international based education must be evaluated by either the World Education ServicesAcademic Credentials Evaluation Institute, or the Education Credential Evaluators. In addition, all international students must provide official TOEFL exam documentation. A minimum paper-based test score of 600 or an internet-based test score of 105 is required. International applicants whose primary speaking language is not English will need to demonstrate an advanced level of writing, speaking, spelling and comprehension in the English language to be admitted into the program.

What resources does the program provide for financial aid, housing, health insurance, student life, etc.?

We recommend completing a FAFSA application starting Jan. 1 for the academic year you intend to enroll in our program. The FASFA application can be completed online. Pacific University is a participant in the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) which provides subsidized and unsubsidized loans to students based on need. For more information, visit the Financial Aid Office.

In addition, the Pacific University Physical Therapy Program offers a one-time First Year Student Scholarship to a select group of incoming students each year, based on academic and needs-based merit.

The Pacific University Division of Student Life provides a Housing Network for all students of Pacific University. Our graduate students generally reside in off-campus housing within the Hillsboro and surrounding communities. Once admitted into the program, internal resource networking and housing opportunities are shared amongst current students. 

The Office of Student Life offers a wide and comprehensive variety of resources including: health care and counseling services, accessibility & accomodation services, student government and outdoor recreational programs.