Creative writing students practice an extensive study of literature along with the craft of writing. Our obsession is literary art: immersing ourselves in it, understanding it and creating it. Pacific University’s workshop courses are small, intensive and geared toward the practice of craft. With the guidance and support of our writing professors, students write extensively in a variety of genres, provide critiques of each others’ work, and perfect the art of revision.
- Participate in one of the few independent creative writing majors in the Northwest
- Study with dedicated, innovative and widely published teachers devoted to the writing arts
- Work individually with professors on a creative senior thesis based on the genre you're most interested in writing
- Access on-campus readings by internationally recognized guest authors through Pacific's Visiting Writers Series
- Interact with faculty and students from Pacific’s low-residency Master of Fine Arts in Writing Program
- Serve as editors for Silk Road Review, an internationally recognized literary journal, and PLUM, Pacific’s Literature by Undergraduates Magazine
- Intern with local publishers
- Opportunities to hear acclaimed writers in the Portland Arts and Lectures Series and visit the fabled Powell's bookstore for readings and explorations, both part of Portland's rich literary culture
To fulfill the creative writing major, students take classes on the craft of all different genres, from fiction to poetry to creative nonfiction, all of which serve to bulk up students’ writing portfolio and provide ample material to submit to literary journals.
Graduates of Pacific University’s creative writing program are prepared to enter a wide range of professional fields. Employers in virtually every sector give high regard to the fact that writing graduates have spent four years analyzing texts, sharpening their critical thinking skills, and crafting first-rate essays. Recent graduates have gone into publishing, writing for large and small businesses, law school, and health sciences programs. Additionally, some of our best graduates teach at the high school, community college and university levels.